LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RT LEDs VI error

Hello again all you helpful forum-goers!

I feel silly posting about such a trivial issue, but I don't know what else to do at this point.  I have a real-time target PXI chassis that has two LEDs labelled "User", and I am trying to use the "RT LEDs" VI to light one of them up.  However, I get an error with code -1 and source "Invalid LED number or state" when I do so.  I have tried various combinations of 0, 1, and 2 for both inputs, to no avail.  Any ideas what might be going on?

Thanks for your help as always,

-Joe

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(3,503 Views)

Don't have the answer for you, but I would take a look at the manual for the chassis. Maybe it contains the magic numbers?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(3,497 Views)

Hi Joe,

What model PXI controller is this?  As ToeCutter said, the information you're looking for is likely in the manual (whether or not the LEDs are two-color, for example, will affect how you can use the function.)

Also refer to

LabVIEW Help: RT LEDs VI

http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/370622J-01/lvrtvihelp/rt_board_leds/

and you may want to post on the RT or PXI forums rather than the general LabVIEW forum.

Regards,

Tom L.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(3,490 Views)

Hi Tom and ToeCutter,

This is a NI PXI 8119 chassis (sorry I didn't have the number in front of me for my first post).  The page on it is here:

http://sine.ni.com/nips/cds/view/p/lang/en/nid/210546

Reading the manual, on page 3-15 it says USER1 LED and USER2 LED are both bi-color green/yellow.  No other mention of number associated with it; reading that I would assume the numbers are 1 and 2.  No other mention of those LEDs are in the manual.

I looked at this page from NI:

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/6E8694E997B5FCB3862572CE00463067

Which made me think the numbers just start at 0 and go up, but then I noticed it was for cFP and cRIO devices, so that may not apply.

You are probably right about this not being the ideal forum; I tend to post here by default.  😉  Thanks for the suggestions.

-Joe

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(3,482 Views)

It should wook as long as you're calling the function like this:

rtledstate.png

Typically the top left terminal named LED Num is incrementally assigned to the USER leds (usually, 0 is USER1, 1 is USER2), and the lower terminal named State corresponds to 0=off, 1=on with some color, 2=on with some other color.

What version of LabVIEW are you using? What BIOS version does the 8119 have?

Craig H. | CLA CTA CLED | Applications Engineer | NI Employee 2012-2023
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(3,457 Views)

Hi Craig,

That is exactly how I am calling the VI.  I am using LabVIEW 2012 SP1.  Can you remind me how to check what version of the BIOS is in use?  If so I'll get that to you as well.

Thanks!

-Joe

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(3,433 Views)

Hey Joe,

If you hold DEL while the system is booting it should go into the BIOS settings. From there the BIOS version is typically on the main information page.

You can find more information on this in the manual on page 2-4: http://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/373721a.pdf

Craig H. | CLA CTA CLED | Applications Engineer | NI Employee 2012-2023
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(3,425 Views)

Good morning Craig,

Thanks for the info.  The BIOS version turned out to be 1.0.0f0.  I hope that that means something to you with regards to the problem I'm having.  😉

-Joe

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(3,402 Views)

Hi Joe,

Please try and see if the example code in this link works for you. This example is for a cRIO but should also work on the PXI.

Regards

Arham H
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(3,373 Views)

Arham,

It looks functionally identical to what I am doing, but I'm happy to give it a shot in case my code somehow got corrupted or something.  However, I cannot download zip files at my work.  Can you post it here as a VI, or renamed as a .zit file?

Thanks for your help!

-Joe

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(3,365 Views)