LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI MAX crashes at load plugins following NI MAX update to 14.x

I don't see anything in the attachments you posted that will help, but I do have another idea.

Since you have Visual Studio, let's use that to debug the MAX launch. Make sure there is no nimax.exe process left around in task manager, then open Visual Studio. From its File menu, open a project, and navigate to "C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\MAX\nimax.exe" or wherever it is on your system. Edit the Properties and set the debugger type to Mixed. Then hit F5 to launch MAX.

By default, VS should catch it when there is an exception that MAX itself does not catch. If this works as intended, you should then be able to choose Debug>>Save Dump As. Do this twice, if you don't mind, once with the type just "Minidump" and again with the type "Minidump with heap". The first one you can attach to this forum, but the second can be quite large. We'll get it from you separately if needed, but it's good to capture it while you're at that point.

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 16
(1,621 Views)

Hi Dan,

Thank you for your reply.

I tried to perform the NiMax debug per your instructions in visual studio but it doesn't seem to work as expected... The only thing I get is the mscorlib.dl "System.StackOverflowException"..

Also, I didn't find the"Debug>>Save Dump As" nor the "Minidump" / "Minidump with heap" option in my visual studio?.. Are they available only if an exception is handle properly? Are the "minidump" options supposed to be avaiable in the Debugger type? The debugger type I have are: Auto, Managed 2.0, Managed 4.0, Native only, Mixed, Script...

I saved you some screenshots of the exception and the debug output from visual studio.

(p.s., have you been able to analyse the nimax dump I get per Alisha instructions in Message 7 of 12?)

Thank you very much

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 16
(1,585 Views)

Is this on a 32-bit or 64-bit OS? At some point NI stopped supporting "Physical Address Extension" (the hack required to use 4 GB+ of ram on 32-bit OS) in the DAQ drivers, and they will not load properly on a 32-bit machine with more than 3 GB of RAM.

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 16
(1,577 Views)

it's on a x64 machine, with 6gig ram.

Note that MAX was working with previous version (well, at least with v13)

Thank you

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 16
(1,566 Views)

I have the same annoying problem, after upgrading from version 13 to 14 and up NI-MAX crashes at start while loading plug-ins.

Contacted NI technical support about a week ago, no solution was found yet.

I have removed everything NI (s/w) from the PC and started fresh: went back to the 2013 kit, reinstalled and MAX is OK but once I upgrade to 14 or 14.5 or 15 MAX crashes again. This is happening on a HP EliteDesk 800 G1 / i5-4690 CPU / 8GM RAM / Windows 7 - 64bit.

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 16
(1,532 Views)

The problem is most likely not MAX, but the drivers (i.e. plug-ins) that you have installed.  If you have a clean system start by trying to install NI System Configuration 15.0, which is pretty much a minimal MAX install.

http://www.ni.com/download/ni-system-configuration-15.0.0/5454/en/

Assuming it doesn't crash, then install your drivers one by one until you figure out which one is causing the problem.

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 16
(1,503 Views)