LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI 9871 modbus card not working

Trying to talk to a device and I'm not able to establish a modbus TCP connection to the slave. Referencing this link, Using I-9871 with CompactRIO , I THINK I have everything installed.....the only software I'm not seeing on my cRIO is what they are referring to as NI-Serial RT. 

I'm using a CompactRIO 9053 and LabVIEW 2020. I am able to talk to the modbus slave from laptop via Python, so I know my settings such as the port are correct. My cRIO's ip address 192.168.2.23, and my slave is 192.168.2.250, so I'm on the same network.

mb1.png

mb2.png

Below is a screenshot of what is installed on my cRIO. There's more if you could scroll, but they aren't related to the serial issue I'm having. Like I said, everything required seems to be there except for NI-Serial RT but that doesn't even show up anywhere on the Add section.

mb3.PNG

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(870 Views)

Alright sooooo........should I be going out of the cRIO's main ethernet port instead of trying to use a 9871 card, since I'm trying to communicate with modbus TCP? Is the 9871 meant only for serial such as RTU?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(854 Views)

If you're looking for TCP, a regular cRIO Ethernet port should work. I don't think the Modbus card would support regular TCP.

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(839 Views)

Modbus TCP is simply put, "Modbus over Ethernet".

No special hardware beyond an Ethernet interface should be needed.

Modbus RTU is serial and usually requires an RS-485 (most common) or RS-232 interface.

These are most often a simple USB to RS-XXX device that installs a virtual Com port.

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(816 Views)

Just to clarify, the NI-9871 is a card with up to 4 serial ports (RS-422 or RS-485). It can be used to talk to a modbus device with a serial RS-485 or RS-422 interface. But it is not limited to the modbus protocol. It can be used with any serial protocol.

Regards, Jens

Kudos are welcome...
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(805 Views)