LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More String Control Scrollbar Bugs

In the series of bugs that will never be fixed but need to be posted for the record, here is a variant of the String Control horizontal scrollbar topic.

Take a String Control (works with Classic, Modern and Silver):

ScreenHunter_001.jpg

Show its horizontal scrollbar. That's not an immediate process, so here is the wya it goes in LV 2013:

- Show Properties

- Go to the Appearance Tab

- Uncheck "Wrap at word breaks"

- Check "Show horizontal scrollbar"

Here's the result:

ScreenHunter_001.jpg

Where's the scrollbar?

You have to grab one of the control edges, expand it VERTICALLY by one pixel and the container box with then snap to a size that accounts for the scrollbar height:

ScreenHunter_002.jpg

Expanding HORIZONTALLY has no effect:

ScreenHunter_003.jpg

If you try that with the System String Control, similar limitations apply but you get a bonus:

ScreenHunter_005.jpg

The one pixel tall string!

Message 1 of 22
(3,855 Views)

Are you using LabVIEW 2013 SP1 or just 2013? I don't currently see any internal documentation of this, so I am going to recreate the situations using SP1.

I should be able to get back to you later today with more information and the next steps I will be taking.

--------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 22
(3,804 Views)

2013 SP1 Windows XP 32bit

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 22
(3,787 Views)

My guess is that the box just isn't big enough to show the scroll bar.  If you re-size the control vertically before you enable the scroll bar, it shows up just fine.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 22
(3,778 Views)

That is probably a good guess. However, I would argue that if I go throught the trouble of opening the Properties Panel to ask for a horizontal scrollbar, I'd be happy to get the scrollbar added.

I have actually found out another oddity (which makes the behavior of the System String somewhat less outlandish):

If you take the default Silver String control, which has a height of 37 pixels, and expands it to 39 pixels or more, then following the procedure I described in my original post, the horizontal scollbar will be shown.

Like this:

ScreenHunter_001.jpg

Here I have painted the String background in red so that you can see that a 1 or 2 pixel string display area is available (like I described for the System string, but here, if you further manipulate the control, it will snap to a more reasonable height allowing you to type in something visible).

So, what I am saying is that there is not much coherence in what the algorithm considers a valid condition to show a scrollbar. Of course all this becomes very interesting when the font size is changed...

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 22
(3,760 Views)

@X. wrote:

That is probably a good guess. However, I would argue that if I go throught the trouble of opening the Properties Panel to ask for a horizontal scrollbar, I'd be happy to get the scrollbar added.

I have actually found out another oddity (which makes the behavior of the System String somewhat less outlandish):

If you take the default Silver String control, which has a height of 37 pixels, and expands it to 39 pixels or more, then following the procedure I described in my original post, the horizontal scollbar will be shown.

Like this:

ScreenHunter_001.jpg

Here I have painted the String background in red so that you can see that a 1 or 2 pixel string display area is available (like I described for the System string, but here, if you further manipulate the control, it will snap to a more reasonable height allowing you to type in something visible).

So, what I am saying is that there is not much coherence in what the algorithm considers a valid condition to show a scrollbar. Of course all this becomes very interesting when the font size is changed...

Well, you just illustrated exactly what I meant.  The scroll bar is as tall as the control itself is.  I think it is unavoidable though.  Just look at everything that has a scroll bar.  The scroll bar gets added to the INSIDE of the window that needs it, not the outside.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 22
(3,752 Views)

Indeed, and I said so.

However, I think I have also proven that this "internal" addition of a scrollbar concept hasn't been thought through by NI, since they seem to be shy to add one when there is 0-pixel space, but not when there is 1-pixel space (or 2, I am not sure).

What is the sense of this, for any one out there?

Disclaimer: I don't have a degree in CS, but I will call a cat a cat.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 22
(3,747 Views)

I think it is simply that there is not enough room to display the scrollbar.  Probably what needs to be done is either make the default size of the control a little taller or make the scrollbar a little shorter.

I didn't mean to imply that it was correct behavior.  It's just expected behavior.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 22
(3,741 Views)

I think you do have a bug here.

Even if you work with a Modern style string control, it is doing similar things.  And when it adds the scrollbar overtop of the existing single line string area, it doesn't look like a scrollbar, it looks like an empty string box that you can't type into when you try.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 22
(3,739 Views)

This got me curious about the vertical scrollbar behavior, and this is exactly similar:

ScreenHunter_003.jpg===>   after Properties>> Show vertical scrollbar  ====>ScreenHunter_004.jpg

Clearly not large enough to see a full character.

After blowing the Font Size (repeated Ctrl+=):

ScreenHunter_005.jpg

I have got a single character "c" in this string.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 22
(3,738 Views)