LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mapping the hand tool to a mouse button

I know you can use the tab key to switch between tools, but what I'd really like is to map the hand tool to the middle mouse button.  When I press the middle mouse button, I want the hand tool to pop up and grab the diagram so I can drag it around the screen and quickly get to where I want to be.  Ctrl-shift is a shortcut to the hand tool, but then I have to go through the bother of sitting up straight and lifting my chin off my left hand.  Smiley Very Happy

Is there a way to get anything like this working?  I even went so far as to go into the Intellimouse driver software and set application specific settings for Labview, mapping the middle mouse button to ctrl-shift.  Didn't work.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,716 Views)
Hi Daklu,

This is not a feature that is currently implemented in LabVIEW.  If you feel that this would be a useful feature, feel free to submit a product suggestion here.  All product suggestions are reviewed by R&D, and they appreciate any feedback you can provide to help make LabVIEW an even better product.
Regards,
Ching P.
DAQ and Academic Hardware R&D
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,701 Views)
I was about to post this question.  There are enough Windows applications now that use middle-mouse  click+drag = hand tool that I think it can be considered the convention and should be incorporated into LabVIEW.  It would be nice to be able to keep the select tool or the wire tool "selected" while the hand-tool feature was accessable.  It would make wiring larger VI block diagrams much easier for those of us who like to think out-side the box and break style guides Smiley Surprised .
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,471 Views)
You mean like this?

(3,453 Views)

I was just searching for this again, hoping someone had some up with a solution.  This has become the UI convention.  All that the clicking the third mouse button (wheel on most mice these days) accomplishes is the equivalent to clicking the left mouse button.  A way to move around front panels and block diagrams without doing tool switch-a-roo would help make programming in LabVIEW a bit faster.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,229 Views)

Nickerbocker,

This feature has not been implemented as of LabVIEW 2010.  At this time the Ctrl+Shift hotkey is going to be your best bet. If this is something you would like to see in future releases of LabVIEW please post in the feature request link above.

Regards,

Sam K

Applications Engineer

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,195 Views)

>> If this is something you would like to see in future releases of LabVIEW please post in the feature request link above

Is the PSC still a preferred method to suggest a feature for the LabVIEW IDE? Does the Idea Exchange supercede the PSC, or do they each serve a distinct purpose?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,182 Views)

@JackDunaway wrote:

Is the PSC still a preferred method to suggest a feature for the LabVIEW IDE? Does the Idea Exchange supercede the PSC, or do they each serve a distinct purpose?

If you select LV, it automatically redirects to the idea exchange.