From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview 7.1 won't run under Windows 7

Hello -

I recently upgraded my system to Windows 7 (Ultimate, x64).  Unfortunately, when I now attempt to run Labview 7.1 on this machine I get an error saying the following:

The requested feature is unavailable on "localhost".

I am not sure of where to go from here.  The built in compatibility mode (running it as if it were XP SP3, for example) produces the same result.  Searching on this forum I found someone with the same message after installation errors (dealing with registry privileges) but I saw no such errors during what was an uneventful, clean install.  One thing I am wondering about (although it does not seem to be an issue with any other program that I have) is I happened to notice that Windows 7 seemingly makes all subdirectories under "Program Files" (Program Files (x86) in this case) read-only.  I turned this off for the National Instruments subdirectory and all of its subdirectories, with no change.  I also attempted the "fix" for registry privileges (in the aforementioned post on here) with no luck.

Has anyone else seen this?  It'd be nice if it gave me a more detailed message but this seems to be all of the information available with this error.

Thanks,

Brett

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 36
(21,673 Views)

LabVIEW 7.1 is not supported under Windows 7:

http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/10356#toc0

LabVIEW 7.1 is also not officially supported under Windows Vista:

http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/6893#toc2

This being said, have you tried disabling some of the compatibility options (desktop composition, visual themes, etc)?

-Bob

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 36
(21,640 Views)

bob-

your links are broke.

At the risk of hijacking the thread - I wonder if there is a knowledge-base article on windows settings that affect NI software.  I reciently ran into an application (TestStand4.1.1- LabVIEW 8.6.1) where the UI table would not populate if the machine (PXI-8106 XP) display theme property was "Windows classic."  It resolved fine by changing to the default theme.  Hmmmmm

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 36
(21,635 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 36
(21,626 Views)

I've installed LabVIEW 7.1 on a Windows 7 x64 test system and LabVIEW installed and executes without any issue so far.  When installing LabVIEW 7.1, I right-clicked setup.exe and chose to 'Run as Administrator'.  You might try this and let us know what you find?

Note: I did not even need to use compatibility mode for LabVIEW 7.1.  Do you have Admin rights on your user account?  If not, you might try enabling admin rights or running LabVIEW as an Administrator (right-click menu).

-Bob

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 36
(21,625 Views)
Thanks!

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 36
(21,623 Views)

Bob -

I'm going to try installing by right clicking on setup.exe and choosing "Run as administrator" ... this is a good suggestion!  I have full admin privileges, however, so I'm not sure what results this will yield ... launching the LV 7.1 executable with "Run as administrator" does not yield any different results, either.  But maybe it's on the installation that this is key?

I'll post back here with my results.

Thanks -

Brett

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 36
(21,601 Views)

No luck.  I uninstalled Labview, rebooted, and proceeded to install Labview 7.1 by browsing onto the disk and running "setup.exe" as an administrator.  (Which, again, shouldn't have made much difference as there is only one account on the machines and I am the admin)

After installation and rebooting, no matter if I run the actual executable or try to open a VI, I still get the same error.

I'm confused as this is actually the first application I have not been able to run in Windows 7.  This fact combined with such a harsh, undescriptive error tells me there's something different going on with privileges that I am not aware of.

Any more suggestions?

Thanks,

Brett

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 36
(21,588 Views)

Hmm, you've just about stumped me.  If this is on a laptop, please try disabling the WIFI card so only one network adapter is present (there are activation issues in later versions related to this).  Are you using the default LabVIEW.INI file or are you migrating your settings from a previous install?

Also, do you have any drivers installed?  If so, from what Driver CD are you installing them from (month/year)?

The system I tested LV 7.1 on is a virtual machine with Windows 7 Professional x64.  I'm not sure I know many more "tricks" to try in order to get this to work, but I am not sure this is even an issue related to Windows 7.  The other thread documents this issue on a Windows 2000 system.  Once engaged by one of the NI Applications Engineers, you might try installing LabVIEW 7.1 from another copy of the distribution/installer.

-Bob

Message Edited by B O B on 11-10-2009 04:44 PM
Message Edited by B O B on 11-10-2009 04:45 PM
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 36
(21,571 Views)

Hello,

I would try running the installer in compatibility mode and also using the run as administrator option.

-Zach

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 36
(21,529 Views)