From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabView database connectivity toolkit 1.0.1 compatibility with MS-ACCESS 2010 / Labview report generation toolkit for Office 1.1.3 compatibility with Office 2010

In the very near future we will be forced to upgrade to Office 2010 Company wide and I am a little concerned with some of our older test platforms that have applications built in LabView 8.2.1.  These applications save data to MS-ACCESS 2000 databases using the LabView database connectivity toolkit 1.0.1.  Office 2003 is also loaded on these test platforms with all test reports generated using the LabView report generation toolkit for Office 1.1.3.

I have not gotten my hands on a copy of Office 2010 yet to see if there will be any compatibility issues.  Does anyone have any experience in this area?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,751 Views)

The MS-Access part is fairly well isolated through the ADO interface LabVIEW uses. The only possible problems there IMHO are difficulties with possible Acess compatibilities itself such as an example, SQL statement you may have invoked directly through the ADO interface. Maybe you did use a depreciated command back then that has since been removed. As long as the only thing you do are simple INSERT and SELECT statements only, I would expect it to just keep working.

The Report Generation interface is a different beast. Microsoft manages to change the Automation interface with every version of office in a way that strongly binding applications like LabVIEW break on. There is no good way around that except not changing those methods, but that is a cause that has been lost already. You will certainly have to verify the version dependant Report Generation API VIs to still work with Office 2010 and most likely you will have to make some changes to those VIs to make them work again with the modified ActiveX interface of Office 2010. Note, that I have no experience with porting report generation to Office 2010 but I have had some headaches from porting that between Office 97, 2000, 2003, and 2007.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,740 Views)