LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LV2OO-Style Global VIs (from NI Week 2007 presentation)

Attached are the VIs from my NI Week 2007 presentation on LabVIEW Object-Oriented Development.

These VIs are the demonstration of the LV2OO-Style Global, aka "the last functional global you'll ever have to write." In short, these VIs show a functional global with a better interface than the traditional functional global in such a way that you only need one functional global VI for all your data storage needs, no matter what actions you need to perform on that data. No performance benchmarks have been done to say whether one style performs better than the other, but the demo goes a long way to highlight how LV Classes can improve even very common aspects of LV programming.  The .zip file says "v2.0" because there was an earlier iteration of this demo posted on the LAVA website earlier this year... this version has been refined from that original draft.

After you unzip the attachment and open the project, there are two demo VIs:
  • Demo with static allocation.vi
  • Demo with dynamic allocation.vi
You'll find comments on the block diagrams.

These VIs are written with LV8.2. They both work fine on MS Windows. On MacOSX, the static allocation will crash, but the dynamic allocation works fine. In LV8.5, the crash on the Mac is fixed.

These VIs will eventually be available as part of the NI Week  presentations generally, but I've been asked to make them available sooner by users attending NI Week who want to review them.

Message 1 of 4
(5,052 Views)
Thank you for the comment about the Mac OS. I was unable to attend NI Week this year, but this is a topic in which I am interested. On my Dual G5 (PPC) Mac with OS X 10.4.10 and LV8.20, both VIs execute without error.

Now if you could talk the NI LV Product Manager into posting the Mac version of LV8.5 for download by those of us who have SSP...

Lynn
Message 2 of 4
(4,997 Views)
Amendment to my original post: The static allocation crashes MacOSX on my *Intel* Mac. User "johnsold" seems to have had complete success with his PowerPC Mac. Again, all bugs appear to be fixed in LV8.5.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(4,980 Views)
LV2OO style global

I am inlcluding this comment to make it easier to search for this post. Searching ni.com for "LV2OO" doesn't work. You have to search for "LV2OO-style". In order to make it easier to find, I'm including this comment that uses the words without the hyphen.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(4,853 Views)