LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing a picture without background to the front panel

Dragging or importing a PNG should allow you to resize it. If the size of the image is large, you sometimes can't see its edges and need to scroll to them, but you should still be able to find them and resize.

Alternatively, you can resize the image in Paint.NET and then import it (something which I personally prefer, since LV's scaling algorithms sometimes have aliasing issues. You can see some discussion about this here - http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Scaling-a-JPEG-with-ZoomFactor-Property/td-p/483555).

(1,291 Views)

Mani.World & tst -

The file is already a .png file, saved in Paint.NET with the transparency removed. I used the magic wand tool to select the background and delete it. I also experimented with an "Alpha Mask" plug, no help. When I import the file in LabVIEW, it shows up with a transparent background. Great, but I can't resize the image. Where copy/paste brings in a white background, but the resize does work.

I did scroll all the way to the edges of the image to find the handles to resize it - they are not there with the import method. I also tried the set width and height tool, but it doesn't change the size either.

I understand the advantages of resizing in Paint.NET, but it's time consuming compared to resizing in LabVIEW - I'm copying simple line drawings where image quality is not a problem.

Thanks for the ideas...

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 19
(1,270 Views)

Can you upload a sample pic. That way, I can take a look at it and suggest a solution to you.

Cheers!

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 19
(1,259 Views)

Sure,

See the attached file - thanks for looking.

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 19
(1,240 Views)

When I drag this image into a front panel in 2011, I get the resize handles and the resize dialog works as well (note that you have to click apply). The resize handles are a bit far from the actual graphic because the image has white space in it, but they're still there at the edges of the actual image.

Resizing it in LV also causes a lot of detail to be lost - LV's algorithm problems is particularly noticable with line drawings.

(1,225 Views)

Please see the attached vi. I've dragged your .png file into LV Front panel and resized it using the resize handles. You image is quite big (>1500 pixels WxH) so the resize handles don't sometimes show on the visible screen. However, you should be able to them now in the attached VI once you click on the image or just hover the mouse over it.

For line drawings, I'd suggest scalable formats like metafiles since you don't loose the details that much and reducde the original picture size (draw on a smaller scale, keeping in mind the VI screen size in pixels)

Hope this helps

Cheers!!

------------------------------

Kudos are the way to go!!!

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 19
(1,214 Views)

I wasn't able to paste (PNG image) with transparent background by using Ctrl-V. instead, as suggested by TechWiz in an earlier post in this thread, I dragged/dropped; this worked.

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 19
(1,030 Views)

<>

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 19
(1,018 Views)

Please give/use kudos if any post is helpful to you.

Thanks

Message 19 of 19
(994 Views)