LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If I reorder elements in a typedef cluster will all the bundles and unbundles also be reordered?

Solved!
Go to solution

I have a rather large project that is becoming larger and I need to add a few more items to my type-def cluster. I would like to reorder the cluster, mainly for neatness but also so simmilar thing are grouped together. If I do this will every bundle by name and unbundle by name also be reordered? Or will I have to manually go through every sub-vi and fix all the broken wires and clusters that are now connected to the wrong elements?

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,866 Views)

I think you can do this in a way that will work, but there's definitely a possibility to screw up. First, make sure you have ALL VIs that reference the typedef cluster loaded in memory before you start making changes to the typedef. That way those VIs will get updated immediately when you make changes. You don't need to have all the front panels open, but make sure that the top-level VI, and any dynamically called VIs, are open. Then, make one change at a time to the typedef, and after each one save and apply changes, then save all. For example, add elements, apply and save all, then reorder, apply and save again. Unbundle and Bundle by Name should be fine, but the unnamed versions may lead to broken wires. This level of caution may not be necessary, but I have had situations where I renamed and reordered and it led to unbundling an unexpected element in some places, so now I'm extra careful and so far it's worked.

Message 2 of 4
(2,864 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author RTSLVU

If you only use bundle by name and unbundled by name you will not have any issues. I have done it many times. I generally always work using a project so the VIs are loaded but I have done this even in cases when items weren't loaded and have not run into any issues. If you use the basic bundle and unbundle you may run into troubles. BTW, I definitely have not be as cautious as nathand.

Mark Yedinak
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,856 Views)

Okay thank you both, I feel confident it will work fine as I only use bundle and unbundled "by name" on my type-def clusters.

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,847 Views)