LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to open an excel file from labview?

I tried to use "open file" vi from File I/O -- Advanced file functions to open an excel file in LabVIEW. Why the excel file wouldn't open after I run the program?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(25,642 Views)

Do you expect Notepad do be able to open Excel files when you select File -> Open? Well, same reason.

To read Excel files you need to use ActiveX. You can find examples in the Excel thread.  If the data is tabular then you can save the file as a tab-delimited file from Excel and open it using Read From Spreadsheet File.

Message 2 of 11
(25,631 Views)

Hi,

You can open an Excel file using ActiveX function.

try out this VI and let me know if u have any queries.

Rgds,

Venky

Message 3 of 11
(25,627 Views)

Thank you smer & venky for pointing me to the right direction. Haven't been program for long time...still using lv 6.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(25,616 Views)

In addition to ActiveX, you can also manipulate Excel data files using the Windows ADO interface - a technique that is more robust, faster and IMHO easier. Do a search on the forum as there have been several threads within the last week or so discussing this very thing.

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(25,599 Views)

Hello Sir. Do you have a version of that example in Labview 6.1? I am interested in learning however do not have the means to upgrade to the latest version. Apologies for the inconvenience, thanks for the help.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(24,257 Views)

I may have some LabVIEW 6.1 code to interface with EXCEL.  Not on this computer though.  Give me a couple of days to look for it.  You're right, it's been a long time.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(24,194 Views)

Unzip and try the VIs in the attachment.  I believe they will work, but I can't test them because I no longer have LabVIEW 6.1 on this computer.  They haven't been tested with newer versions of EXCEL or Windows 7 either.  They were probably last run on W98 or W2K.  Good luck.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(24,183 Views)

Thank you Venkatesh for your posting! Much appreciated. I will check others as well. Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(23,888 Views)

Hi,

I have been playing with this vi as it is exactly what i need.

The question I have is, I want to run this sequence but instead of opening the excel file, displaying the data and then closing the excel file again, I want to keep the file open and update the displayed data when it changed in the excel sheet.

Can anyone help me to do this as I am not sure where or what alterations I need to make?

thanks in advance

Nathan

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(19,717 Views)