LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to control push solenoid

Hi guys 

I want control the push type solenoid for x-ray pulsing. I don't have any idea how to interface the solenoid with Labview.  The solenoid does not have a serial port it just have two power cable. Can you please help in proving general view how can control using DAQ board. I will appreciate your review and will helpful for me to buy the USB DAQ board. Thanks 

Parag

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,701 Views)

Without knowing the specifics of the solenoid that you are trying to control, I can't give specific answers, but in general you can't drive a solenoid directly from a DAQ card output. The current, voltage, or (more likely) both, will be out of spec for the DAQ board. You will need some sort of signal conditioning between the DAQ and the solenoid. Sometimes the solenoid vendor will make these boards themselves, sometimes you will need to find one on your own, but again the vendor should be able to help.

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
Message 2 of 4
(2,696 Views)

Thank you for your reply.

Here are some specification about the product .  What are specification specification for DAQ.

• 12VDC, 580MA Draw
  • Holding Force - Imperial: 2.88lbf
  • Holding Force - Metric: 12.8N
  • Solenoid Operation: Pull
  • Coil Voltage VDC Nom: 12V
  • Solenoid Duty Cycle: Continuous
  • Coil Power Cont: 7W
  • Coil Resistance: 20.7ohm
  • RoHS Compliant: Yes
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,683 Views)
The parameters aren't too outlandish, so all you should need is a relay the coil of which is within the capabilities of the DAQ card (you can find the specs in the manual) an with contacts that can handle 12v at, say, an amp -- always good to provide a little overhead. One thing to be sure to include or find a relay that has one built in, in a flyback diode.

Flyback diodes are installed such that they are reverse biases when power is applied to energize the relay. They are needed because when you deenergize the relay the magnetic field in the coil will begin to collapse and induce a reverse EMF the coil wires. The purpose of the diode is to provide this voltage with a path to ground that doesn't involve frying your digital io board.

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,671 Views)