LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I find shared variables across a network?

Sort of self-explanatory.  I need to find the shared variables available on a remote computer.  What is the best way to do this?

Thanks!
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,305 Views)

Hello,

Sounds like you're trying to bind a shared variable on your machine to one on the network.  You can browse the network to choose what you'd like to bind to as follows:

In the shared variable properties dialog:

1. place a check in the "Bind to Source" checkbox

2. click the Browse button in that section

3. from the Network-Published Source drop-down box, choose Network Items

You should now see the network available to your machine, and you can expand the tree to expose items to bind to.

I hope this helps!

Best Regards,

JLS

Best,
JLS
Sixclear
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,280 Views)

Thanks for the reply.  I realize I left out a key word in my problem description:  I need to do this programatically.

NI suggested that I make remote VI server calls to the appropriate DSC Engine Control VIs, but I was hoping for something a bit more elegant - clearly, we can browse machines and shared variables from configuration panels in LabVIEW, and I want to be able to do the same from a VI.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,278 Views)
Hello,

I see - that would be the way to do it programmatically.  The DSC engine control VIs will allow you to view shared variables locally, so using VI server to execute those functions on remote machines (and of course returning the data) will do the trick.  I agree it's not as elegant as one might imagine or hope.  If you return the paths to the variables, you can also dynamically bind a shared variable on your local machine to those remote sources as well using property nodes - achieving this functionality all together programmatically just takes a little coding.

Best Regards,

JLS

Best,
JLS
Sixclear
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,252 Views)
Thanks, JLS.  I guess I'll proceed down this road, and maybe add to the feature request list...
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,251 Views)

Hello,

No problem, and sorry I didn't have a more elegant solution for you!

This is DEFINITELY worth of a product suggestion - and that's one of the only ways customers in general have direct access to R&D (those requests are handled directly by R&D and are taken very seriously - every request is read and evaluated).

Thank you,

Best Regards,

JLS

Best,
JLS
Sixclear
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,228 Views)