LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How connect NI USB 6008 to BNC out on Transonic T110 w/t ground loop noise?

How can I connect the NI USB 6008 data acquisition device to the BNC connector (pulsatile flow out) on Transonic T110 flow meter without experiencing ground loop noise? I have tried cutting off one end of a BNC cable, trimming to reveal the core wire, and connecting the core wire to one of the analogue inputs on the NI USB 6008. I get a signal but it does not correspond to the readings on the flow meter.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(4,497 Views)
Hi,

To get rid of ground loops you should connect the device to the USB-6008 in a differential configuration. You can connect the positive input to AI0 and the negative or ground input to AI4 (AI0 and AI4 are a differential pair on the 6008).

For more information on signal connections in DAQ have a look at the following tutorial:
Field Wiring and Noise Considerations for Analog Signals
Sarah

Applications Engineer | National Instruments | UK & Ireland
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(4,479 Views)
Hi Sarah The BNC cable consists of 4 concentric layers – from inner to outer: core wire, insulation, braided tubular wire, and outer insulation. If I connect the core wire to A10, how do I connect the braided tubular wire to A14 – is there an adapter that converts BNC cable to two terminals?
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(4,457 Views)
Hi,

You can strip back the braided wire then twist it so it will fit in the connector. You could put some solder along it to tidy it up a bit.
Sarah

Applications Engineer | National Instruments | UK & Ireland
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(4,453 Views)

Here's some off-the-shelf solutions

http://www.alliedelec.com/catalog/pf.asp?FN=53.pdf

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"It’s the questions that drive us.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(4,447 Views)
Sarah / Analogue Kid Problem solved. I have tested it using the make do cable and the values correspond. I have ordered a BNC cable adapter locally from www.radionics.ie that, when the NI screw fitting is removed, plugs directly into the NI USB 6008. See link for cable: http://www.radionics.ie/cgi-bin/bv/rswww/searchBrowseAction.do?D=bnc&Ntt=bnc&Nr=avl%3aie&Ntk=I18NAll&N=0&Nty=1&name=SiteStandard&forwardingPage=line&R=2967747&callingPage=/jsp/search/search.jsp&BV_SessionID=@@@@0098981695.1157726108@@@@&BV_EngineID=cccfaddikilddmhcefeceefdffhdgmo.0&cacheID=ieie Thanks a mil Kark
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(4,419 Views)