LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Having to Activate LabVIEW 2010 SP1

This happened to my customer yesterday. He purchased LabVIEW FPGA separately from LabVIEW 2010 and they sent him the SP1 disks. He installed all disks they sent him which installed both 2010 FPGA SP1 and LabVIEW 2010 SP1. He, too,was unable to activate LabVIEW 2010 SP1. Now he has to go through the process to revert to 2010 before SP1. Pretty ridiculous.

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 19
(1,506 Views)

rolfk wrote: 

Actually LV 2008 was called 8.6 and the SP1 of it was called 8.6.1. There was a LV2009 SP1 too, and the current policy that installing the intermediate update version requires an ongoing SSP at the point of release of that intermediate update has been in place since at least 8.2.1. It may have been that you only could get access to 8.2.1 if you had a valid SSP, which might be the reason you can't download it anywhere anymore. But 2009 SP1 and I believe at least 8.6.1 required new activation too.

I have never really got the validity of this situation that having purchased a Product you have to have purchase a SSP in order to get fixs to the product you have purchased.

If I buy anything other than software, I typically get a years warrenty on it, if it has a problem is not fit for purpose, breaks I can return it for a refund or replacement.  That is factored into the original price.

I totally understand a SSP that covers extra support / upgrades to new feature etc.  But I do not get it for bug fixes / patches.

Danny Thomson AshVire Ltd
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 19
(1,469 Views)

It's called job security. Add bug on purpose, fix said bugs, charge money for SP. Time for a new LabVIEW version, cycle repeat, keep job Smiley Very Happy.

Ok, thats a bit exaggerated. But it is quite frustrating. For my customer, they have a redundant system with 2 PCs, and all in all it took him about 11 hours to get everything uninstalled and reinstalled on both. But, that's 11 hours he could have been working on something else which actually put him 22 hours, or 2.5 days behind. So, big ouch! If services packs will cost money, then that's that, but I think they need to make an easier way to go back if you accidentally install a SP you haven't paid for, or give you more of a warning that if you haven't purchased it there is no easy way to back up w/o a reinstall.

Today I got told, gosh, even Microsoft doesn't make you do that.Smiley Tongue

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 19
(1,436 Views)

@danny_t wrote:

I have never really got the validity of this situation that having purchased a Product you have to have purchase a SSP in order to get fixs to the product you have purchased.

If I buy anything other than software, I typically get a years warrenty on it, if it has a problem is not fit for purpose, breaks I can return it for a refund or replacement.  That is factored into the original price.

I totally understand a SSP that covers extra support / upgrades to new feature etc.  But I do not get it for bug fixes / patches.

Well, it's one area where NI didn't copy Microsoft habits to the point. However this has nothing to do with validity. You may feel it not right that you can't purchase a software packet without having to pay for updates. Yet there is nowhere a law that forbids someone to do this. It is unusual for consumer style products, but a very common practice in the industry from process control to industrial automation and more.

Compare it to the old time Unix model, that was even more extreme. There you didn't buy the right to use a particular software forever but instead you paid for the use like a lease contract. As long as you paid the monthly fees (which were actually in the area of what a whole LabVIEW package costs) you were entitled to use the software. Once you stopped paying, even starting up the software was violating the license contract. Yes it's extreme and most people didn't like it, yet it was just as a valid business model as providing free open source software support as a paid contract, just to name another extreme of that scale.

And an SSP is not about new features at all. It is about support and any and all sorts of upgrades. Or are you going to cancel your SSP for 2011, since NI has made a point that it will not really add big new features to it, but that most of the last year has been spent to beat the sh** out of LabVIEW to make it more stable and perform better?

I think NI got themselves a little into problems with the software version naming. It seems they wanted to get away of the old version numbering, since they used to provide the x.x.1 version updates for free. However that also meant no downloadable full x.x.1 versions but only updaters instead. By adapting the SP naming they did somehow create another expectation, that has been preceded by Microsoft practices, where all the SPs are free for legitimate users. So they have to do some explaining, but saying this model is not valid is simply not correct. If you said you don't like it, then ok, there is nothing that I or anyone else could say about that.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 19
(1,423 Views)

@for(imstuck) wrote:

For my customer, they have a redundant system with 2 PCs, and all in all it took him about 11 hours to get everything uninstalled and reinstalled on both. But, that's 11 hours he could have been working on something else which actually put him 22 hours, or 2.5 days behind. So, big ouch! If services packs will cost money, then that's that, but I think they need to make an easier way to go back if you accidentally install a SP you haven't paid for, or give you more of a warning that if you haven't purchased it there is no easy way to back up w/o a reinstall.

Are you telling me they just went ahead and installed it on both computers without first veryfying it at all?????? That does sound very unprofessional to me.

And there is a notice about the need to reactivate the software during the installation process. I get the feeling that nowadays one could tell the user during the installation, that the software is going to install a bunch of viruses, and a root kit to make things nice and funky and they would happely click on the Next button.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 19
(1,421 Views)
I was actually wanting to discuss the idea of installing e.g. 2010.SP1 in it's own folder alongside 2010 rather than override it. Anyone got any thoughts on that? 🙂
Certified LabVIEW Architect * LabVIEW Champion
Message 16 of 19
(1,405 Views)

@rolfk wrote:

@for(imstuck) wrote:

For my customer, they have a redundant system with 2 PCs, and all in all it took him about 11 hours to get everything uninstalled and reinstalled on both. But, that's 11 hours he could have been working on something else which actually put him 22 hours, or 2.5 days behind. So, big ouch! If services packs will cost money, then that's that, but I think they need to make an easier way to go back if you accidentally install a SP you haven't paid for, or give you more of a warning that if you haven't purchased it there is no easy way to back up w/o a reinstall.

Are you telling me they just went ahead and installed it on both computers without first veryfying it at all?????? That does sound very unprofessional to me.

And there is a notice about the need to reactivate the software during the installation process. I get the feeling that nowadays one could tell the user during the installation, that the software is going to install a bunch of viruses, and a root kit to make things nice and funky and they would happely click on the Next button.

I feel "unprofessional" is a bit harsh. When you are sent DVDs after purchasing a couple thousand dollars worth of new software (FPGA), I think it is a valid assumption that everything they sent you you will need. And, no one reads those things; I click next as fast as possible! haha. Yes, I agree to all 24 license agreements (or at least I better or I can't use the software). My goal here is not to turn this into a shooting match, I am just trying to get the point across that this may be happening to multiple people and feel it is important that it is addressed. Again, I am not saying they shouldn't charge for their service packs or that service packs shouldn't need reactivation; I am just saying they need to be installed in such a way that it doesn't throw your whole system off.

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 19
(1,391 Views)

@for(imstuck) wrote:

I feel "unprofessional" is a bit harsh. When you are sent DVDs after purchasing a couple thousand dollars worth of new software (FPGA), I think it is a valid assumption that everything they sent you you will need.

Hmmm, if they sent him the software he must still be on the SSP. Otherwise you don't get the DVDs automatically.

And installing a new version (how minor the upgrade is) without testing it first is a big risk with every software. If you take such a risk that's up to you, but you shouldn't complain afterwards if it hit you.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 18 of 19
(1,375 Views)

@jgcode wrote:
I was actually wanting to discuss the idea of installing e.g. 2010.SP1 in it's own folder alongside 2010 rather than override it. Anyone got any thoughts on that? :)

Assuming that the SP was a x.x.+1 release (no change to the VI format) and if the new LabVIEW.exe and associated changed files could be placed in a 'parallel' folder so I could leave/use my instrument and user libraries in place then I might consider it. 

I guess disk capacity is plentiful and cheap enough that spending ~$100 US for 2TB of disk to run a programming environment that costs 50x or more that price is acceptable. I still object to the administrative component.

Now is the right time to use %^<%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S%3uZ>T
If you don't hate time zones, you're not a real programmer.

"You are what you don't automate"
Inplaceness is synonymous with insidiousness

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 19
(1,342 Views)