LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting millisecond timestamp from Citadel 5 to Excel

I would like to extract multiple channels from Citadel 5 to Excel.  The 450+ channels of data are generated during turbine engine testing, sampling several times per second.  I set up the Citadel 5 ODBC driver and can extract the channels one at a time using MS Query but the time stamp is truncated to the whole second.  The MS Query window shows the millisecond data but does not pass it to Excel.  I've heard this is a limitation with MS Query.  I can copy from the MS Query window and paste millisecond data to Excel but it will not transfer it directly.

In my second approach, I used VB ActiveX to set up a recordset object and tried to extract the data without using MS Query.  Again, I got the data but the time was truncated to the whole second.  I tried converting the time data to a string and passing the string but was not successful with the type conversion.

I tried linking to the Citadel 5 data with Access but the 256-channel limits the available channels.  I also got errors trying to read the available channels.

I know I can use Citadel 5 to export the channels one at a time to get actual times but I have 60+ channels to read from multiple tests per day so this becomes too time consuming for routine use.

Any ideas?  This seems like it would be too common an issue to not have a solution.

Thanks...

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,792 Views)

Hi Professur,

Depending on your use case, you can export tab delimited data from Measurement and Automation Explorer (MAX) that contains timestamp information in sub second precision. Open MAX and navigate to your data in the Citadel 5 Universe. Create a new view of your data, and then click the Export to Text File. Configure the exporter and open the data in Excel. 

Export2Text.JPG 

I hope this helps! 

Verne D. // Software R&D // National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,774 Views)

Thank for the response but it doesn't really help.  I have successfully exported data from MAX and imported into Excel.  If I export a single channel, I get the actual sample times (which is what I need.)  If I export multiple channels, the data will be interpolated to a common time scale.  Since I have 60+ channels to export for each run multiple times per day, this becomes too labor intensive for practical use.  I am trying to set up a macro or VB code in Excel that an operator can run at the end of a test to extract the needed data.  It looked like this would be easy with the ODBC driver and it has been successful except for truncating time to the whole second.

Is there another way?

Thanks...

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,772 Views)
We could pull the data from Citadel into LabVIEW with the DSC database VIs and then use the report genration toolkit to export an XLS that you can open in excel. Would that work? Regarding writing a macro, the API you've been using does clip the seconds, and there doesn't appear to be a setting I know about that can fix it. Let me poke around a bit more and post here if you have further comments.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,753 Views)
Here's an example of how I might go about using DSC to accomplish this. It outputs a text file, but that might be easier to import to excel and work with.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,729 Views)