LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Front Panel objects do not stay in place after saving, closing, and reopening the VI.

I have been working with a couple of versions of a main VI. The original VI was given to me so that I could add additional functionalities to it. I had been designing the front panel of the latest version of the VI on a Dell laptop running Windows 7 and LabView 2011 SP1 using a monitor with a resolution of 1920x1080. My booleans, numerics, and plots on the front panel had always stayed in place after saving, closing, and reopening the VI. Once in the field, I connected my laptop to a cRIO9073 and used my laptop screen with a resolution of 1366x768 to operate the VI. I made some changes to the VI, saved it, and reopened it. This time I noticed that the front panel objects had become overlapped, resized, and generally rearranged. I tried fixing the objects but I noticed that they reverted back to the incorrect positions after saving and reopening the VI. I was successful in keeping the objects in position a couple of times, but when I would open the VI at a later time, the objects were again rearranged. This is happening on both my monitor and laptop screen. The original version of the VI, however, does not behave this way and I have opened it on both my monitor and laptop screen. In this version, the front panel objects always stay in place. Both VI's have the same window size properties. Could I have corrupted the latest version of my VI somehow? Below are screenshots of the front panels of both VI's.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,617 Views)

Hello Miguel,

You've likely already checked this, but do you have a non-default setting for the Window Position VI Property.  I've seen similar behavior in VIs set to Maximize on different screen sizes. 

Regards,

Tom L.
Message 2 of 7
(2,601 Views)

Hello Tom,

In the VI Properties under Window Size, my Minimum Panel Size is Width = 0, Height = 0. The "Maintain proportions of window..." and "Scale all objects..." boxes are not checked. Under Window Run-Time Position, I have the position set to Unchanged. Is this what you mean?

Regards,

Miguel M.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,585 Views)

Yes, I was referring to the Position property.

That is quite odd- could you provide a screen capture of what the updated UI is supposed to look like?  It appears a number of things have changed. 

It's possible that something is awry with the tab control or the front panel as a whole, however it's more likely that a setting has changed that's not obvious.

If the front panel is copied and pasted into a new VI and saved & re-opened, do you see the same rearrangement?

Regards,

Tom L.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,571 Views)

Tom,

Below is a picture of the updated front panel. I have noticed, now, that my front panel objects rearrange only when I open the VI on my laptop after designing on my monitor. When I go back to my monitor they are still scrambled. I copied the front panel to a new VI and opened this new VI on both my monitor and laptop. There was no rearrangement. Could I have done something programmatically to my front panel objects. I don't think I have.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,525 Views)

Hi Miguel,

It is possible to programmatically set or change the position of front panel objects. (for example: http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/4D0DA06B43195B3F862572F3000AF2D3?OpenDocument) However, if you haven’t intentionally done that, it seems unlikely that it is the problem.

Have you tried copying the entire block diagram in to a new VI to see if the problem persists? While it is unlikely, you are right that it is possible for VIs to become corrupted. I’ve never heard of a situation like this except in the situation where the settings Tom had you check have been changed. Here is some information about those settings:

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/7567EF257B9CFDF986256F630073228F?OpenDocument

Since there was no rearrangement when you copied the front panel to a new VI, you might try copying the block diagram a little bit at a time to see if there is some particular part of it that creates the problem somehow.

K. Johnson

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,455 Views)

VI is adjusting itself based on monitor size. This is always the case. Make sure when you create your installer then in VI properties select window size tab as per your requirement. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kudos are always welcome if you got solution to some extent.

I need my difficulties because they are necessary to enjoy my success.
--Ranjeet
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,450 Views)