LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Device Drivers August 2015 Issue Fixed

I've seen several threads where users are complaining that they can't seem to get the August 2015 downloads to work right. Here is one, and here is another.  Today I had the pleasure of needing to go through this myself and in doing so I found a few issues along with a few fixes.

First download the three parts. Part 1, Part 2, Part 3.  At this point you may want to backup your three downloaded parts because after an extraction the files will be deleted.

Run the first part and extract it somewhere.  This will be the root of your install where Setup.exe will eventually be.  For me I selected the path C:\National Instruments Downloads\NI Device Drivers\Aug15  Then run the second part, this part needs to be extracted, but not at the root, instead this gets extracted into the Products folder in the root.  For me I selected the path C:\National Instruments Downloads\NI Device Drivers\Aug15\Products  Then run the third part, this part again needs to be extracted at the root.  For me I selected the path C:\National Instruments Downloads\NI Device Drivers\Aug15

Now you should have in your root 4 folders (Documents, LicenseAgreements, Products, SupportFiles), and 12 files including Setup.exe.

Most people have been able to get this far.  The problem is what happens next.  Users claim they run setup.exe and after some amount of install, the installer asks for either Media 2.  Of course there is no no second media this is all supposed to be in one setup.  But if you open the nidist.id you'll see it claims this is volume 1 of 2, and that the MD5s for this volume are in the SupportFiles\dist_md5_1.xml.  If you open up Setup.ini you also see what installers are for volume 1, and what ones are volume 2.

So the temporary fix, is to run your setup like normal, at some point it will ask for volume 2.  Here just cancel the install, then edit the nidist.id replacing the line Volume=1 with Volume=2 and MD5ChecksumFile=SupportFiles\dist_md5_1.xml with MD5ChecksumFile=SupportFiles\dist_md5_2.xml then run the setup again.  What this does is convince the installer it is part 2 of part 2 so all installers that run from part 2 will work but installers from part 1 will not.

A better solution is to edit nidist.id to be Volume 1 of 1, edit Setup.ini replacing all instances of Volume=2 with Volume=1, and then copy lines 3-599 of dist_md5_2.xml and paste them into dist_md5_1.xml starting at line 4033.  What this does is convince all the other installers that they are part of volume 1, not volume 2 so the installer should install everything without prompting.

I've attached the three files to be edited as I described.  Replacing the originals (after backing them up) should fix this.

This is not how the installers are normally supposted to work, manually editing these files shouldn't be needed.

Message 1 of 2
(3,614 Views)

Thanks for the clear and concise workaround. The development team will be notified of the issue.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(3,522 Views)