From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Control Google Earth Plugin API in Labview

Solved!
Go to solution

I am trying to access the Google Earth plugin api from labview. I've already done this with the Google Earth COM API, but for the plugin it wont work in the same way. I've seen posts of someone doing this in C# here.

I am currently playing with putting the GE plugin into an activeX container on the front panel, but have yet been unsuccessful.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Dan

Message 1 of 28
(8,428 Views)

Hi Dan,

A few months ago my brother installed Google Earth on my PC and I had fun with it.  Today I installed the plugin and got it working inside an AX Container - taking pieces from here and here.

Perhaps the attached VI will help (assuming you haven't already discovered a solution.)

Cheers. Smiley Happy

"Inside every large program is a small program struggling to get out." (attributed to Tony Hoare)
Message 2 of 28
(8,380 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Dan t

Sorry! Smiley Tongue

This attachment [VI] works more consistently (on my PC.)

Cheers.

"Inside every large program is a small program struggling to get out." (attributed to Tony Hoare)
Message 3 of 28
(8,375 Views)
Thanks very much, that works! That's essentially what I was trying to do, I just couldn't fit all the pieces together.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 28
(8,335 Views)
I can't seem to get this working.  I think google earth plugin has changed a bit.  Has anyone able to get the google earth plugin working in LV 8.6 with the current google earth plugin?
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 28
(7,536 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 28
(7,516 Views)

does anybody work with current google earth plugin api in labview?

i have the same problem,the example doen't work in labview with current google earth plugin

i don't know what is the problem and how to fix it

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 28
(7,150 Views)

Hi all.

Sorry if I'm asking a trivial question, but what's the difference between using Google Earth Plugin and Google Earth COM API?

Thanks,

Francisco

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 28
(6,763 Views)

Hi Francisco,

The GE Plugin is what you can embed in a web browser, and has its own API, here. It is the better supported API of the two.

The COM API is an interface for the GE application, what you install and run on your computer. It has an older, outdated api, here.

There was an update to the GE plugin a year or so ago that made the same code I used to embed and control the google earth plugin in a front panel no longer work. I'm not sure if it's still possible to use LabView with the GE plugin, but there are threads about controlling the Google Earth application with the COM API.

Cheers,

Dan

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 28
(6,750 Views)

Hi all.

Thanks for your reply, "Dan t".

I'm not very familiarized with application interfaces, so, let me show you if I had understood well:

GE Plugin. It works on web browsers, so you have to include a web browser on the front panel. You work with Google Earth in this way like you were navigating the internet (similarly to Google Maps). You don't need to install Google Earth application on your computer.

Google Earth COM API.
It's used for communicating with the Google Earth application, so you have to have it installed on your computer. You'll need to run simultaneously both LabView and Google Earth in order to work with this API in LabView.

What I want to do is to show a map on the LabView front panel and place several marks on it, depending on several data LabView generates. I mean, I want the Google Earth application embedded on the LabView front panel, I don't want to communicate with another instance of the Google Earth application while it's running, or surf the web like I had Internet Explorer embedded on the front panel, either.

So, what do you think I should use, GE Plugin or Google Earth COM API?

Thanks,
Francisco

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 28
(6,707 Views)