LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compact RIO

Hello All,

I haven't seen much about the Compact RIO products comparing against PLC applications. One of the most valuable features of the Allen Bradley PLC's to the company I work for now is the ability to edit variables during runtime. Is this easy/possible using the FPGA-based RIO controllers?

Looked like an interesting alternative to going with a full-blown PC for control purposes when a PLC is just not cutting it. Anyone with this sort of experience?

Thanks! 

Message 1 of 3
(2,960 Views)

I come from a PLC background and will only go back kicking and screaming.

The scan engine has limited ability to force variables.  However I have stayed away from the scan engine so far and implemented my own version of a "current value table."  It reads "tag" configuration from configuration files and includes the ability force variables.  This has been invaluable during testing and troubleshooting.

NI has provided a similar library to mine: http://sine.ni.com/nips/cds/view/p/lang/en/nid/209117 but it does not include the ability to force variables.  However, it would be a good place for you to start.

So yes, you can program the ability to force variables in LabVIEW.  You can do just about anything in LabVIEW.

Please let me know if you have any specific questions.

Message 2 of 3
(2,936 Views)

You could also get in contact with a Technical Sales Representative and they will give you more than enough material to make an informed decision.

Ben J.
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,917 Views)