cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I use two USB 6211 to replace one USB 6009

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi, 

I got a labview vi., 5 digital output channels, 2 digital input channels, 2 analog input channels are needed for running this vi.  Initially a usb 6009 is used to run this vi. But I only have two usb 6211 now, which has 4 digital input and 4 digital output for each DAQ. I wonder can I use two usb 6211 to run the vi.? What do I need to do?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,024 Views)

The 6211 is a much more powerful device but has one limitation in your case in that it lacks 5 digital inputs.  Yes, you could probably use two of them with one just reading the extra digital line.  It depends on how you're using the hardware though.  If you need the 5 digital to be read simultaneously for instance it would be hard to sync them.  My guess is that if a lowly 6009 worked you can leverage the 6211(s) but we'd have to see your code to be sure.  

Another option would be to use only one 6211 and press the analog input into service as an extra digital line.   Again, it depends on what your code is doing with the signals.  If you can post your code and explain your application better we can probably help more...

LabVIEW Pro Dev & Measurement Studio Pro (VS Pro) 2019 - Unfortunately now moving back to C#, .NET, Python due to forced change to subscription model by NI. 8^{
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,007 Views)

You can use one 6211. Anyway you need to generate one digital line separately. Why not use analog output for that.

As NIquist said, generation (not acquisition) will not be completely simultaneous.

You need to make analog ("fifth digital output") task and duplicate actions you do with digital output. When you write data, split array, get last element.

Other tasks stay the same.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,992 Views)

Thanks for your reply. 

You said I can use analog output to replace digital output channel. I guess that means when the signal is low, I need to output 0V from the analog output channel, when the signal is high, I need to output 5V from the analog output channel, is that correct? 

The vi. actually accesses to and defines some properties of the digital ouput channel,  like DO.InvertLines and DO. OutputDrive Type,  I wonder will that make any difference of replacing DO with AO? Do I need to change any property of corresponding AO channel?

I attached part of the vi. 

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,961 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author cli21

Invert Lines are false, it means it will output 0 for false and 5 V for 1. 

Active drive is normal mode of the digital output: it is generating voltage when said.

One more thing I forgot: what are you driving with these lines, how much current do you need?

Analog output is the least powerfull, it can give only 2-4 mA, while 6009 digital output could give 8 mA.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,947 Views)

I need 5mA current. May be I need to add a buffer following the analog output port. 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,935 Views)