LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CaLab and EPICS-Labview communication

Hi everyone!

Currently I'm dealing with Labview-EPICS communication and I've found this utility called CaLab (http://www-csr.bessy.de/control/SoftDist/CA_Lab/). The idea is to export variables from Labview to EPICS, but I hardly understand how this utility works and more specifically how to export them. For instance, by using EPICS and the caput and caget utilities, I'm able to grep the temperature from a wheater web page, but I have no idea how to do this from within Labview. 

Could anyone help me? I know it's not a specific question, but I'm totally confused on this stuff and don't know how to start Smiley Sad

Cheers!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,523 Views)

Hi,

you can use LabVIEW to communicate with an EPICS Server by using the LabVIEW shared variable engine. 

The follwoing white-paper should be usefull for your application:

Interactively Configure EPICS I/O Servers

For more background please check out the Introduction to EPICS:

Introduction to EPICS

I guess this should be helpful for the start. If you can specify your Problem just write again =).

Regards,

Lam

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,496 Views)

I've been doing quite a bit with LabVIEW and EPICS recently, and I'll start with the obvious question:

Are you writing a server or client in LabVIEW?

With the exception of the NI code as linked to LamD then there is very little server side that I've been able to find out about that is in the big wide world. Most people are still doing their own thing and writing the server side in more traditional EPICS languages.

The NI Server is also linked to the DSC Module, it's not available in base versions. However, it is straightforward to use, as are the clients I used, including the CaLab code from Bessy. There are a number of people coming up with various solutions to this problem for different aspects of the communication.

The way you've phrased the question I'm getting the impression that you want to use LabVIEW as the server, so the easy way is the DSC module method. There are some people out there who have been working on sharing the memory space and accessing that directly, but that may be a little involved, and is a method I'm avoiding as too involved at the moment.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,490 Views)

Hello!I have a question.how to implement caget and caput for many pvs in labview.If I use the caget and caput packages directly to wire inside the laview program. The lavbiew program will crash.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(575 Views)