From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Arrow navigation unaware of value signalling event

I could not find this mentioned here earlier:

Click on a row in a multicolumn table and you can navigate up and down the list with the arrow keys...fine. Now make a button e.g. that fires a value signalling event for the multicolumn list after you have clicked the cell (set the value to a row different than the one you manually click on)...then programmatically set the key focus back to the list.

Now let's do the test again: Click on a row in the multicolumn listbox, then click the button to fire the value change event and key focus...The list is now in focus so use the arrow keys to move to another row...Result: The listbox will start the move from where you last clicked it - not at the currently selected row(!).

The arrow scrolling should have checked the current value of the listbox when it calculated the next position.

In my case I'm giving the users an option to sort the list - and then continue to navigate. The currently selected row is updated programmatically so that the content that was selected prior to the sort is still selected afterwards...and the focus is then set back so that the user is free to start navigation immediately after the sort...and that is when the keyboard navigation fails in this manner.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(3,803 Views)

I am not very good with words. Can you attach a small example that demonstrates the problem?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(3,798 Views)
That is interesting behavior.  You could use a 'key down' event for the listbox control.  Then change the value for 'Up' and "Down' and discard what those keys normally do.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(3,791 Views)

altenbach wrote:

I am not very good with words. Can you attach a small example that demonstrates the problem?

I guess, something like that mentioned - see attachment (LV8.6)

Andrey.

Message Edited by Andrey Dmitriev on 06-26-2009 05:16 PM
Message 4 of 12
(3,787 Views)
That's spot on in your example Andrey.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(3,780 Views)

I have the same problem. Really there is no way to set cursor position?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(3,547 Views)

I had really hoped this would be fixed in LV2011, but did not see it in the list of bug fixes.

I wonder if NI is aware of this issue?  Let's see.

Ctrl-Space

Down Arrow five times

type letter 'a'

Down Arrow

No problems, therefore I know at least one person at NI has worked around this bug, and I will have to conclude that they are aware.  Maybe one year NI will focus on bug fixes in LV so nagging issues like this will go away, oh wait....

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(3,486 Views)

Not fixed in 2013 either!Smiley Mad

It actually becomes quite a nightmare in all cases where you initialize a selection programmatically, and the users start to modifu the selection by shift or ctrl-clicking with the mouse for example.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(3,377 Views)

From this old thread I found that AQ has reported it as CAR 282916...

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(3,367 Views)

At the risk of delaying an actual fix for this problem; A way get around the issue is to programmatically generate a mouse click on the correct row after opening the window....

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(3,351 Views)