LabVIEW Shortcut Menu Plug-Ins

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add SubVI Description.llb

Author: jyoung8711

Description

This is a plug-in which replaces the exisitng "Description and Tip..." right click option for SubVIs on the block diagram.  This replacement allows the user to change the VI Description for the SubVI that shows up in the context help, and is located in the "Documentation" section of the "VI Properties" menu.

This plug-in directly replaces the existing function.  Right clicking the subVI and selecting "Description..." will popup a window that includes the existing description (if one exists), and allows you to edit, then click done to accept changes, or cancel to reject the changes.

Additionally, this plug-in adds the ability to batch edit the description of VIs (useful for polymorphic creation/editing).  Just select multiple SubVIs, right-click and select "Description..." In this case, the Description field is not populated, and this will overwrite any existing description in the selected VIs.

Screenshots

menu:

VI Description Right-Click.png

popup:

VI Description Window.png

Attachement is saved in LabVIEW 2015. For install instructions, go here.

Comments
smithd
Active Participant
Active Participant
on

Additionally, this plug-in adds the ability to batch edit the description of VIs (useful for polymorphic creation/editing).  Just select multiple SubVIs, right-click and select "Description..." In this case, the Description field is not populated, and this will overwrite any existing description in the selected VIs.

I wasn't a fan of this part so I made a quick multi-description editor. I can't think of any reason you'd ever want the same description for a bunch of subVIs. The zip file contains my modification.

jyoung8711
on

smithd wrote:

I wasn't a fan of this part so I made a quick multi-description editor. I can't think of any reason you'd ever want the same description for a bunch of subVIs. The zip file contains my modification.

My thought was that this would be handy for editing the description of polymorphic VIs which all have the same VI description (something like the VIs are the same, but only data type is different).  But a multi-description editor is pretty useful as well.  Thanks!

smithd
Active Participant
Active Participant
on

Ah I see, I use this (https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-17043) for that kind of workflow. It seems to me the best use for this is when you're reviewing your code and say oh man I should put some context help in there, or when you do edit>create subVI.

jyoung8711
on

Ah! That is a great utility that I didn't know existed.  Thanks!

Generally I'd agree with your statement, that was exactly the case that prompted me to make this in the first place... When it came time to think about behavior for multiple VIs, the polymorphic instance was what came to mind, so I went with the batch edit, but I think I like the idea of the multi-description editor better.

Contributors