Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why VISA Property Interface Information.Interface Description is different if the current user belong to different user group?

Hi, NI Engineers,

I have trouble to enumerate specific serial ports on my computer using Interface Description.

for example,

there is a serial port named as "Prolific USB-to-Serial Comm Port(COM5)" in the device manager, I using VISA Property Node(Interface Information.Interface Description) to read device description. what I expected to get is "ASRL5  (COM5 - Prolific USB-to-Serial Comm Port)".

if I log on my computer as member of administrators, there is no problem, the return strings is  "ASRL5  (COM5 - Prolific USB-to-Serial Comm Port) ".

but if I log on as member of Users, what I get is "ASRL5  (COM5) ", the description "Prolific USB-to-Serial Comm Port" had gone without any error message?

I attached photos when I tried to get port description of STMicroelectronics Virtual COM Port(COM9).

I have tested on another computer with users belong to different group. there is no any problem. of course, the group policy configurations are different on those two computers.

I want to know which restriction may cause in such problem?

Any offer would be appreciated.

David Xia
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(4,305 Views)

Hi adfsafdsfsad,

What operating system are you using on this machine?  This sounds like an issue with your Windows settings, and I am not certain which property specifically is causing this issue as we don't support Windows properties here, but matching up your group policy configurations and user permission settings to those on the working computer would be a good place to start in my opinion.  Is there a reason why you cannot continue to run your application as an administrator?

Andrew T.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(4,288 Views)

Hi, Andrew,

The operating system is Microsoft Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 3.

I'm not sure, I just supposed that this issue caused by Windows Settings. if this issue has no business with VISA Property Node, I wouldn't talk about it here.

this computer is being used in assembly line, we don't want the operator change anything for system security.  Guys from IT Department set all the policy configurations,  they have tried every setting they could think, but we haven't gotten a solution yet, it's very difficult for us find a solution because we don't know much about VISA Property Node.

David Xia
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(4,279 Views)

Hi adfsafsdfsad,

The fact that your property node is working when run as an administrator and not when run as a user suggests that this is a problem with your permission settings.  I have looked into the functionality of the VISA Property Node here and am not finding any settings associated with it that would cause the behavior you are observing.  As you are able to access the COM port successfully and even read back certain information about it, I am confident that this is not an issue with the Property Node itself.  It sounds to me like the Property Node is trying to access information which is only available to computer administrators on your network.

I hope this helps answer your question.

Andrew T.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(4,265 Views)

Hi, Andrew,

Thanks for your patient support!

as you can see in the attached photos, Only Interface Description had been read out from Property Node after serial port opened. this serial port on the working computer had been connected to a local device.

I didn't suspect of the functionality of Property Node, But I need to know what conditions are necessary for the property node for consistency.

Take serial port "STMicroelectronics Virtual COM Port (COM10)" for example, using VISA Property Node to read Interface Description on different computers

Computer I: 

Log on as member of administrators, String "ASRL10  (COM10 - STMicroelectronics Virtual COM Port )" read back.

Log on as member of users, String "ASRL10  (COM10 - STMicroelectronics Virtual COM Port )" read back.

Computer II:

Log on as member of administrators, String "ASRL10  (COM10 - STMicroelectronics Virtual COM Port) " read back.

Log on as member of users, String "ASRL10  (COM10) " read back.

I'm confused what the problem with Computer II.

By the way, our assembly line has dozens of computers behaved like Computer II, two computers behaved like Computer I.

David Xia
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(4,256 Views)

Hi adfsafsdfsad,

There aren't any configurable settings regarding the VISA Property Node access rights which would cause the difference between Computer I and Computer II.  Are there any clear differences between the computer types I and II which you reference below?  As I said before, there isn't much that National Instruments can control from our side of things regarding the permissions on your computers, there must be some difference in your computer setups between type I and II.

Andrew T.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(4,247 Views)

Hi, Andrew,

I've found the root reason, it caused by some settings in registry, Thanks for your tips.

David Xia
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(4,213 Views)

Would you care to share which HKEYs were the problem?

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(4,205 Views)