Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"windows could not load the installer for GPIB" - Hardware installation error.

Hello everybody!
I'm using the GPIB interface to control a Spirent GPS RF simulator. The controller PC came pre-installed and configured with a PCI-GPIB adapter and everything used to work.
I now needed to install a second GPIB adapter (USB GPIB) to send real-time dynamic motion data over GPIB to the controller PC. Ordered a new USB controller from NI.

Plugged it into the controller PC and had to install the new 488.2 2.5 drivers as the old ones apparently did not support the USB adapter.
Installation worked fine, run the Measurement & Control utility and both GPIB0 and GPIB1 adapters show up. As far as drivers goes, the hardware seemed to work fine at this point. However, I was having issues communicating with the instruments (error "The device did not respond to a *IDN? query."), ans being new to GPIB I assumed it was a driver issue.

So, I removed the hardware, uninstalled all the NI drivers and NI software (as far as you can uninstall all of it using the Control Panel, no manual file deletion). Rebooted, installed the 488.2 2.5 software again, rebooted again. At this point, everything seems ok. Now I plug in either the PCI-GPIB adapater or the USB adapter, and as soon as the "Found New Hardware"  wizard pops up, I get this error message:

"Windows could not load the installer for GPIB"

I've tried everything since, nothing works, I'm frustrated and really need to get this working asap. Will be contacting NI tomorrow but wanted to see if anybody here has any advice.
I've reinstalled the drivers for the n'th time, I've manually removed NI files, I've tried everything 10 times. Except for a full system format & re-install, I'm at a loss as to what do to...

Help appreciated!
Thanks,
Bernardo
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,722 Views)

Hi Bernardo,

It seems like this issue is probably related to your Windows system.  Based on the warning, it seems that some past software you've used on the system is corrupt.  When you uninstall the NI software, also delete all the registry files to clean up the system.  If that doesn't work, then you may need to reformat the system.  I hope this helps!

Regards,

Rima

Rima H.
Web Product Manager
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,684 Views)
Spent several hours on the phone with NI customer support, but they coudln't help.
I ended up formating the hard drive and doing a clean Windows XP install.
Drivers installed find and both GPIB adapters now work.

Thanks,
Bernardo
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,662 Views)