Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to change COM port number on NI Serial ports, ALL other ports I can?

I have many serial devices installed on my Windows 7 PC.  I also have a NI PCI-8430/8 (RS-232) Interface.  The COM port numbers were getting a little messed up (most low numbers showed in use even though they weren't present) so I wanted to reset them all and try and organize them.  I cleared the port asignments in the registry in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\COM  Name Arbiter ComDB

Worked great mostly.  Every serial port could now be set to what I want except the NI hardware, they stayed on what port they were and the drop down is greyed out. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,081 Views)

Hepcat,

I wanted to confirm that you are following the correct steps in order to change the port assignments. The following link outlines what NI recommends you do in order to change serial port numbers. Is that what you are doing?

How can I Change the Serial Port Number of My Device in Windows?: http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/7FF87B8876843A64862574880009619A

-Alex C.

Applications Engineer

National Instruments

Alex C.
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,042 Views)

Hepcat,

Great username. There was once a "Dr. Hepcat" radio personality that was quite famous.

Also, some called Audrey Hepburn "the Hepcat".

"hep" might be where we got the word "hip" - see this article about Dr. Hepcat: "Cab Calloway wrote his Hepsters Dictionary, a guide to jive talk". Also, check out this page: "etymologists believe that the terms hip, hep and hepcat derive from the west African Wolof language word hepicat"

Andrew T.
"His job is to shed light, and not to master" - Robert Hunter
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,010 Views)