Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PCI-GPIB for Mac firmware downgrade

Hi everyone.

My question to you is: How can I get back to my old firmware on my pci-gpib controller after updating it?

I just purchased a vintage, late 90's, colorgetter drum scanner that runs off the pci-gpib on a mac. It did not come with a mac so I picked one up for $60. It was loaded with os10.4. With the drivers installed it would crash on boot. The forum said to upgrade firmware. I did. Boot problem solved. However, after the fact, I learned the scanner software only ran on os9.0 and earlier. After loading os9 the software cannot see the scanner. I need to get back to the old firmware that used drivers NI-488-2 ver. 7.6.6.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(5,020 Views)

Hi DrTackett,

Which versions of the NI-488.2 drivers do you currently have installed? It is possible that the drivers you have installed are not compatible with OS 9. According to this white paper, you will need version 7.6.7 which you can download here.

Regards,

Matthew B.
Offering Manager
NI
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(4,998 Views)

Hi Matthew B.,

Thanks for replying. The drivers installed were ver. 7.6.6, which came with the original package. I installed the ver. 7.6.7 but with the same results, "scanner not found".

Here is what I know to be true:

The scanner worked fine on os9.0.4 with the original firmware(ver. unknown) on the NI-488.2 PCI-GPIB card, using 488.2 drivers ver. 7.6.6, with the scanner software ColorRight 5.0.1.

As mentioned in my original inquiry, I upgraded the firmware using ver.2.4 and drivers 2.4, now I no longer can see the scanner using ColorRight 5.01, with which I do have the dongle.

Oddly enough, I have a version of ColorRight Pro 2.0 (demo, which means I can use the software but I cannot do a final scan to disk unless I can find a dongle for it) that sees the scanner. The drivers for the Ni488.2 were built into the software.

Because I only have the dongle for ColorRight 5.01 I need to go back to the original firmware.

Any solutions would greatly be appreciated.

Regards,

Don

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(4,988 Views)

Hi Don,

I would like to verify that your hardware and software installation is okay. Please take a look at this manual and verify that the hardware and software were installed correctly (chapter 3). The hardware test will make sure the hardware is good to go while the software test will make sure the driver can communicate with the hardware. It is possible that something in the software may be configured incorrectly, but I would like to eliminate the hardware and the drivers from the issue first.

Regards,

Matthew B.
Offering Manager
NI
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(4,964 Views)

Hi Matthew B.,

I did run the tests for the card and they came back clean and functional.  I even used the check box on the Unaddressing option in the configuaration file like it suggests in the troubleshooting section, didn't work.

As I said earlier in this post, I can use a locked-demo of ColorRight Pro 2.0 and can access the scanner, run scans, save prescans but can't do the final scan. That tells me that it works fine.

All I did was update the firmware to 2.4. Any other suggestions?

Thanks again for your time and Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

Regards,

Don

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(4,947 Views)

Hi Don,

Did you run these tests on the Mac OS 9 machine? My other thought is that something in the ColorRight software is preventing it from communicating with the PCI-GPIB card, but I'm not sure how we would narrow that down right now since the newer version of ColorRight works. Do you get any specific error message when you try to run the firmware updater right now with the firmware that installs with NI-488.2 7.6.7?

Regards,

Matthew B.
Offering Manager
NI
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(4,918 Views)

Hi Matthew,

After digging through the archives of the drum scanner forum I found one little note about setting the parameters for the card...and it worked! Or at least it now moves onto another issue of seeing the dongle. So I believe, that after I figure out what I need to get the dongle going, I will be scanning soon.

I truly appreciate your time on helping me solve this problem.

Regards,

Don

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(4,888 Views)

Don, did you get Color Right Pro working correctly?  If not I may be able to help.

John

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,729 Views)