Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW serial command does not appear to complete until I open a Hyperterm.

I can command my device using hyperterm. However, the LabIEW command does not appear to complete. I issue the command in LabVIEW and then open the hyperterm to verify the command was recevied (status query). When I start the hyperterm session (with a carriage return), I get a response from the device stating that it is performing the requested action, and then (after 1-2s) a response stating that the action has completed. I have tried commanding using both the VISA protocol and the basic serial I/O. I have also tried , and as my termination character in LabVIEW.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(3,074 Views)
But are you explicitly sending the termination character from LabVIEW? Just setting the termchar applies only to read operations, not writes.

If you want VISA to send the termchar for you on write operations, set the property "ASRL End Out" to "TermChar".

And if you are appending the termchar manually to the strings you send, make sure your LabVIEW strings have the backslash codes view turned on so you're actually sending the right code (instead of sending an actual backslash code itself across the serial cable).

Dan Mondrik
National Instruments
Message 2 of 2
(3,074 Views)