Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IOTech DaqBook 200 help

Hi I am trying to set up a DAQBook/200 to do simple data logging across five channels (voltage taps really).

The first problem is I am unsure whether I can even talk to the device. The parallel port connection from the device is plugged into my computers printer port as this is the only serial port I have! Using MAX it lists 10+ COM ports and 1 LPT port but with no discernible difference on the settings of each. I have tried opening the visa dialogue to COM1 and LTP1 but don't seem to get a response from an identity query.

The next problem is I can't find the device driver on the LabView website (which I am having to search for manually as the other computer is not linked to the net!), I have found an old driver (for version 4) on IOTechs website but LabVIEW is saying they are too old for it to use (I am using 8.5). Is there any avenue I have missed here?

Any ideas at all really?

Thanks
Jon

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,098 Views)

A printer port is not a serial port at all. If the instrument only supports a serial connection and you don't have one on the laptop, you should buy an inexpensive USB-RS232 converter. I strongly doubt that the device supports an *IDN? query or VISA either. That's usually only for instruments that also have a GPIB connection option.

As far as the downlevel VIs, with 8.5, the earliest VIs it will open is 6.0. If you have any version of LabVIEW prior to 8.5, you can open them and save them to something 8.5 can open. Otherwise, you might want to either ask IOTech to upgrade them for you or post the VIs and ask someone here to do it.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,084 Views)

Hi yeah thats pretty much exactly what I was fearing! Think its best to find some other way round then!

Thanks for your help!

Jon

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,076 Views)