Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to connect QL355TP Power Supply

Greetings,

I am trying to get a TTi QL355TP to connect through the USB connection to Labview.  I have downloaded the driver for this instrument but whenever I try to run TQLP initialise (or any of the VIs) I get the error message Initialize.vi<ERR>Driver Status:  (Hex 0xBFFA0000).  I am using a port named COM9 which I can get to work through NI-VISA by setting the correct baud rate (19200) to respond to an IDN? enquiry.  However when I try to use this in the resource name (ASRL9::INSTR) - i recieve the above error message.  Am i missing a step out (maybe setting the baud rate) on Labview?.  Any help would be much appreciated

Many Thanks

Graeme Smith

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 26
(10,913 Views)
Where did you get the driver. NI doesn't have one for that model. If you got it from Thurlby-Thandar, the one they have is an IVI driver and you will need the IVI Compliance Package installed. It's on your drivers CD and you can check MAX to see whether it is installed. You can also get the latest at http://digital.ni.com/softlib.nsf/webcategories/85256410006C055586256BE6007065DD?opendocument&node=1...
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 26
(10,905 Views)
Hi there

I realised that it is an IVI driver and installed that driver.  Now what happens is i get the error "TQLP Initialize.vi<ERR>Driver Status:  (Hex 0xBFFF0072) (-1073807246) The resource is valid, but VISA cannot currently access it.  Is this a step forward??  What would be the reasons that VISA cannot access the device??

Kind regards

Graeme

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 26
(10,904 Views)
With a serial connection, you will often get that error if you have another program running that is using the com port. Windows does not allow two different processes to access the same port. If you also have Hyperterminal open, close that and try the driver. Also, if TT shipped a utility program to communicate to the instrument, make sure that it is not running in the background.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 26
(10,901 Views)

Hi

Many Thanks for your swift replies.  I did have VISA open when I got that message, but the initialise VI still does not work.  I am typing "ASRL9::INSTR" into the resource name field (COM9) - and COM 9 works fine in VISA.  Do I have to set up the instrument in IVI using logical names etc - which I have no experience of.  Is there something that I could be missing

Regards

Graeme

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 26
(10,891 Views)
Meant to add - now I recieve the error message (Timeout expired before operation completed)
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 26
(10,891 Views)

I don't think you need to define the instrument in MAX unless you wanted to use the IVI class driver instead. Since you are using a serial connection, I'm wondering whether TT added serial support in their driver. I might be worthwhile sending them a query to see if they did.

One of the things I dislike about IVI drivers is that you need CVI to edit them. I have CVI but not on the pc I'm using right now. I'll try to find some time to get to that pc and look at the source code but I can't promise when I can do that. I'm assuming that the download page is http://www.ttinst.co.uk/downloads/drivers-download.htm. Exactly which driver are you using?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 26
(10,885 Views)
Hello

Many thanks for all your help so far - it is much appreciated.  I did indeed download the driver from that website.  The specific one I am using is:

QL-P series Power Supplies, combined Labview Driver and 
    LabWindows CVI Driver - with IVI support

I have given TTi a ring and they said they would phone back with an expert which they never did.

Kind Regards

Graeme Smith
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 26
(10,860 Views)

Hi Graeme,

At the moment I am working on driver VI's for the TTi PL330DP.

The VI from TTi are old and don't work properly. There are also some errors in the commands which will be solved in the next print of the manual  Smiley Tongue

Maybe you can use these VI's (when I am ready) or did you already solve your problem ?

Message Edited by K C on 03-28-2007 04:24 PM

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 26
(10,758 Views)
Many thanks for your reply

You are indeed correct that the old VI's from TTi dont work.  Since my troubles they have very kindly e-mailed the updated drivers before the next release and these are working fine.

Many Thanks for our help

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 26
(10,726 Views)