Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you use Labview to control an external device?

I am trying to use LabVIEW to control multiple external devices for a school project. For example, I need to use LabVIEW to control a nitrous-fill pump for a test. How do I go about doing this and what additional information is needed for me to complete this task? I am new and just learning LabVIEW, so please keep that in mind when trying to explain the solution to me. I also have limited programming experience (with the exception of MatLab). Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,660 Views)

Your first step is in determining the type of remote control interface the instruments have. There are numerous options such as serial, GPIB, Ethernet, USB, analog, and more. What you find will determine the hardware you might need for the pc and the software solution.

In the mean time, you might also want to review Instrument Control Fundamentals.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,635 Views)

Thanks, I will look that over.

Here is more info on what I am trying to do / equipment:

-Will be using a PC-6221 DAQ card (can provide up to 5V).

-Want to send a signal to a relay box using LabVIEW to:

-ignite black powder + 1 redundant should the first one fail

-start an engine ignition + 1 redundant should the first one fail

-control a nitrous fill system

The later, from my understanding, being the trickeir one to control. For the other two, I literally just need to send a charge to ignite them.

The nitrous pump is from Hydraulics International, Inc. (S/N: 1302010 and model: 3L-SS-2S-R). I couldn't find any information on it regarding supply voltages and whatsnot.

We will also have a DB50 double shielded cable running from the control room to the relay box.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,615 Views)

Sounds more like you want us to help you set up an experiment not an instrument.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,599 Views)