Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error when installing VISA 4.2 on Mandriva

Hi,
first, yes I read that Mandriva 2008 is not (yet) supported, but I thought I give it a try as for Mandriva 2006 nothing is continued, which makes it a pain to configure and use it.
Labview8.2 went through like a charme. Also NIKAL 1.6. But when I try to install VISA 4.2, I get following error message, which seems to me just a little clitch that could be fixed easily?

The following components will be installed using rpm:
  NI-VISA Runtime 4.2.0              3199 KB  (in /usr/local/vxipnp)
  NI-VISA Development 4.2.0          9303 KB  (in /usr/local/vxipnp)
  NI-VISA Configuration 4.2.0         524 KB  (in /usr/local/vxipnp)
  NI-VISA Server 4.2.0                250 KB  (in /usr/local/vxipnp)
  PXI Services 1.6.0                  791 KB  (in /usr/local/natinst/nipxi)
  NI Spy 2.5.1                       2286 KB  (in /usr/local/natinst/nispy)
  CVI Runtime 8.0                    8554 KB  (in /usr/local/natinst/cvirte)
  LabVIEW Runtime 8.2.1             38472 KB  (in /usr/local/lib/LabVIEW-8.2)
  NI-ORB 1.7.0                        481 KB  (in /usr/local/natinst/.nicore)
  NI-DIM 1.7.0                        585 KB  (in /usr/local/natinst/.nicore)
  NI-RPC 3.4.0                        123 KB  (in /usr/local/natinst/.nicore)
  NI-PAL 2.1.0                       1843 KB  (in /usr/local/natinst/nipal)
Total space required:               66411 KB
Space available:                  2143032 KB

Continue? [Yn]

Installing selected components ...

error: open of /tmp/nivisa.install/nipal/nipali-2.1.0-f1.i386.rpm /tmp/nivisa.install/nirpc/nirpci-3.4.0-f1.i386.rpm /tmp/nivisa.install/niorb/niorbi-1.7.0-f0.i386.rpm /tmp/nivisa.install/nidim/nidimi-1.7.0-f0.i386.rpm /tmp/nivisa.install/nipxirm/nipxirmi-1.6.0-f0.i386.rpm /tmp/nivisa.install/nicvirte/nicvirte-8.0-6.i386.rpm /tmp/nivisa.install/lvruntime/labview82-rte-8.2.1-2.i386.rpm /tmp/nivisa.install/nivisa/nivisa-4.2.0-f1.i386.rpm /tmp/nivisa.install/nivisa/nivisa-devel-4.2.0-f0.i386.rpm /tmp/nivisa.install/nivisa/nivisa-config-4.2.0-f0.i386.rpm /tmp/nivisa.install/nivisa/nivisaserver-4.2.0-f1.i386.rpm /tmp/nivisa.install/nispy/nispyi-2.5.1-f0.i386.rpm failed: No such file or directory

* A reboot is required before attempting to use the NI-VISA software. *

Would you like to reboot now? [yes|no] no

Installation completed successfully.

Please reboot manually before attempting to use NI-VISA software.
"
Sure enough I cannot see any of these files in /tmp/, but I am root when I try to install VISA. the nikaliPostInstall.log is for example also there in /tmp/.
Also VISA is certainly not installed as updateNIDrivers only sees NIKAL installed, even though it says installation successfull.

Hope someone can help
Cheers
Thomas

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,125 Views)
Thomas,

I am assuming that you are installing NI-VISA 4.2 - Linux. I am also assuming that you currently installing from a CD? An alternative way to download would be go to www.ni.com >> Support >> Drivers and Updates. It appears you are currently having issues opening the NI-VISA install files. If you reference the readme.txt associated with NI-VISA 4.2 - Linux, it will walk you through the install process from the internet.

You may want to give this a try and see if you see the same results.

Sarah S.
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,109 Views)
Hi Sarah_S,
I was installing from the iso that I downloaded and then mounted. However I am now using Mandriva 2007.1 and the install went through nicely, even NIDaqmx Base 2.1, which as indicatred shoudl not have installed easily. thanks for the suggestion, I will try later
Thomas
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,103 Views)