From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

FOUNDATION Fieldbus

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI-FBUS PC-Card detected wrong

We want to use PCMCIA-FBUS Series 2  PC Cards in new Dell laptops with Windows 7 64 bit.

After installation of nifbsw401.exe and a reboot, I am inserting a NI-FBUS PC Card.

The FBUS card is not detected as NI PCMCIA-FBUS card, but as PCMCIA MTD-0002.

The driver for this card is then not found and I can't use the card.

The behaviour is identical with several of our NI PCMCIA-FBUS cards and with two identical Dell Laptops in every combination.

The cards are working fine on other laptops.

Is this problem known and are there any solutions known?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(7,289 Views)

Hi, You said it can work in some other laptop. Are these laptops also installed with Windows 7 64 bit OS?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(7,276 Views)

Yes, the cards are working fine on other laptops with Win 7 64 bit, also on other desktop machines with PCMCIA-PCI slots.

In the meantime, I found that PCMCIA MTD-0002 is a kind of default manufacturer id if there goes something wrong reading the card identification.

When I'm starting an emergency windows booting from CD based on Win 7 32 bit, I also get MTD-0002 as identification

My guess is now, that the NI-FBUS PC Cards are not compatible with the PCMCIA slot and/or the board chipset of this Dell Laptop.

Are there any experiences from other users with PCMCIA slots in Laptops that are not working with the NI-FBUS cards?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(7,268 Views)

What's the model, or service tag of your Dell laptop?

If possible, please try to find another PCMCIA card (not NI-FBUS PC card) to test if the PCMCIA slot and controller works well.

Here are some suggestions:

1. Upgrade BIOS driver to the latest version.
  2. Upgrade PCMCIA (SmartCard) controller driver to the latest version.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(7,260 Views)

I upgraded the BIOS and the Chipset/PCMCIA drivers earlier without any improvement.

In the meantime I tested the PCMCIA slot with 4 other PCMCIA cards.

2 of them results in a blue screen, 2 others also have an unknown manufacturer id.

I will contact Dell support, this looks like a hardware problem of my Dell Latitude E5520.

Thanks for the hints.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(7,240 Views)

Hello Markus Klein,

Any news on this problem?

Regards,

Tako

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(7,188 Views)

Dell changed the motherboard of the laptop and now PCMCIA cards are working, also NI-FBUS Series 2 cards.

Therefore this was not a problem of incompatibility or the NI-FBUS card but of the Laptop PCMCIA card slot itself.

We will need to have the board of the second identical laptop also changed.

This seems like a general problem from dell which is solved in the meantime, but I could not get more exact information about this.

Thanks for the useful hints to solve this problem.

Message 7 of 7
(7,185 Views)