FIRST Tech Challenge Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Schematic Editor Bug with School Laptops

Solved!
Go to solution

Our team is having a problem installing the 2010 software on any of the school computers.  Something about the security software, access rights, or laptop configuration is causing the software to not work properly.  Everything seems to install fine but when you go to the Schematic Editor to configure which motors/sensors you have hooked up it always gives us the pan tool (it looks like a hand) even when we hover over the areas you should be able to modify.  I looked into the schematic editor code as far as I can (much of it is password protected) and I can and have seen that on the Mouse Move case of the event structure you are looking at mouse position and changing the cursor based upon a value passed out of a VI that looks at mouse coordinates.  That number is looking for certain cases in order to change the cursor type.  I have noticed that on these computers that number is different than other computers.  If I could have the password to delve into these VIs I am sure that I could fix this problem but that kinda seems like a bandaid on the problem.  I have tried Admin rights, disabling security software, and various other things but it still doesn't work.  I would be happy to talk to someone in person to figure this out.

Sincerely,

Jason Daming

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(3,816 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author jdaming

Hello Jason,

I know what is going on and you are correct that this is a bug with the Schematic Editor. The problem has to do with the Color Settings of your monitor. If possible, you should set this to a higher color format. Depending on your Operating System and display adapter, this setting may be called 32 bit, True Color, High Color or something similar.

On Windows operating systems, you can get to these setting by right clicking on the desktop and choosing "Screen Resolution" or "Display Properties." Then find the control that allows you to control your color depth. (You may need to click on "Advanced Settings.") You should set it to the best color resolution that the display supports.

Depending on the security you have set up with the school computers, you may need to request that the school IT department give you access or make the change for you. Unfortunately, if you cannot change those settings, you cannot use that particular computer with the Schematic Editor.

I will add this information to the known issues list here:

https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-17996

Please let me know if this fixes your problem.

Tony

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,891 Views)