Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

spice syntax format rules defined

Solved!
Go to solution

Is there a document that explains the difference between the general SPICE syntax and Multisim syntax? I tried to read the SPICE simulation users guide but the link takes me to a Multisim 11 ad. Then when I search for the manual I just loop back to the same place. How annoying.

When I import a SPICE file, I'd like to know which statements will be valid. Including analysis statements.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(4,600 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Speedyg8

Hi there,

There is a page in the Multisim help file which outlines the difference between Multisim's SPICE syntax and other SPICE syntaxes (i.e. PSPICE and XSPICE). To find this page, do the following:

1. In Multisim, click Help>>Multisim Help
  2. Click on the Contents tab. If you are using Multisim 10.1, the help topic can be found under Multisim SPICE Reference. If you are using Multisim 11, the help topic can be found under Simulation>>Multisim SPICE Reference

Generally, analysis statements are ignored by Multisim. To set your analyses, you will have to click on the menus available through Simulate>>Analyses.

Hope that helps.

----------
Yi
Software Developer
National Instruments - Electronics Workbench Group
Message 2 of 4
(4,583 Views)

Hi,

To import a SPICE netlist, select Place>>Component, go to the "Basic" group and select the "Basic_Virtual" family, locate the "Arbitrary SPICE Block" and drop this component on the work area.  Double click on this component and you can paste the SPICE netlist into the text area.  If your SPICE netlist have simulation statements Multisim will ignore them, you have to select Simulate>>Analysis and manually set the settings.  For example, if you see a statement as shown in your SPICE netlist:

.TRAN 5US  500US

.PRINT TRAN  V(1) V(2)

In Multisim, you have to select Simulate>>Analysis>>Transient analysis.  If you know your SPICE syntax, you will set Tstep 5us and Tstop to 500us in Multisim and under the Output tap, you will select node 1 and 2.

Multisim should be able to  recognize most parameters but if there are anything parameters that it doesn't understand look it will tell you on the spreadsheet under the Results tab. 

Tien P.

National Instruments
Message 3 of 4
(4,582 Views)

Thanks for your guidance.

Tien P, Thanks for this info. I was looking for this too!

I chose yyao's solution because it directly reflects the question, but both answers were very helpful. 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(4,574 Views)