Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone have a model or circuit for a switched power supply?

Teach in a County College and would like to include this topic in one of the electronics courses.  Help is appreciated.

Steve

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14
(9,643 Views)

Hi Steve,

In Multisim, select File>>Open>>Samples>>SMPS,  these circuits came from the book 'Switch-mode Power Supply SPICE Cookbook' by Christophe B. Basso, maybe there is something in here you want to use. 

http://www.amazon.com/Switch-Mode-Power-Supply-SPICE-Cookbook/dp/0071375090

Tien P.

National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 14
(9,611 Views)

You can also use the example finder (version 11.0 and later) to view descriptions of these examples before opening it.

1. Click Help > Find Examples
  2. Select the Search tab, and enter the keyword SMPS. Click Search
  3. You can select and see descriptions of the samples at the right.

Garret
Senior Software Developer
National Instruments
Circuit Design Community and Blog

If someone helped you, let them know. Mark as solved or give a kudo. 🙂
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
(9,600 Views)

Has anyone placed more than one of the averaged model "components" in a design?

For example, I placed and successfully simulated a circuit using the BOOSTCCM.  Then I added a BUCKCCM to the circuit, but MultiSim errors with "duplicated subcircuit name ('pwmccm') occurred on line xyz: .subckt pwmccm 1 2 3 4 5".

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14
(9,390 Views)

Hi tired,

Can you please post your circuit and tell us which version of Multisim you are using?

Thanks.

----------
Yi
Software Developer
National Instruments - Electronics Workbench Group
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
(9,365 Views)

Thank you for your help Yi.  Im using 10.0.144.  Using the "Save As" function, I modified the circuit from the Averaged Model Current Mode boost to create the "Trial_Boost_CM" file.  (The path is "samples/SMPS Circuits/Average Analysis")  I've described the extent of my modifications with text on the schematic.  I've been able to successfully simulate it with several "unknown parameters" warnings in the audit log

Using the same method, I created the "Trial_Buck_CM" file and modified it as noted on that schematic.  I've also been successful (with similar warning) simulating it.

Finally, I created a third file, "Trial_MultipleConverter" from the "Trial_Boost_CM" via the "Save As" function.  I added a second sheet and pasted the circuit from the "Trial_Buck_CM". When this combined circuit is simulated, the error message "...duplicated subcircuit name ...." as I mentioned previously occurs.

The error message does not appear when I delete either or both (naturally) of the CCM models.  Once I place the model again yields the same result. 

This also occurs if you place the models within separate Hiearchial blocks.

What am I doing wrong?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 14
(9,347 Views)

Hi there,

This is whats happening. Each component on your Multisim schematic should be defined by no more than one simulatable subckt. The SPICE code for each of the SMPS block defines their simulatable subckt, but on top of that, they also define a PWMCCM subckt. That isn't a bad thing, but what is bad is that they are defined on the same leve like this:

.SUBCKT BOOSTCCM
*SPICE code
.ENDS

.SUBCKT PWMCCM
*SPICE code
.ENDS

When Multisim generates a netlist for the entire schematic, you will encounter the problem where there are two (duplicate) definitions of PWMCCM. To work around this problem, the subckt's should be nested like such:

.SUBCKT BOOSTCCM
*SPICE code

.SUBCKT PWMCCM
*SPICE code
.ENDS

.ENDS

This was an issue with the sample files that we shipped in v10.0. We fixed this in v10.1. I made the changes necessary to your file so that it simulates correctly.

Hope that helped.

----------
Yi
Software Developer
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14
(9,314 Views)

Thanks Yi,  Now I understand. 

Our firewall prevents any connection to the update server, so I've been "stuck" with what we got "out-of-the-box".  Is there another method to access and install version 10 updates?  Perhaps there is another thread addressing that?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14
(9,297 Views)

You can search for and download our past updates from the Support page on ni.com and clicking on Multisim.

For now, follow this link:

http://sine.ni.com/psp/app/doc/p/id/psp-412

Click on VIEW ALL beside drivers & Updates. You should be able to find all availble updates to Multisim there.

Please note that while you may be able to install newer versions of Multisim, you can only activate the versions which you have a license for (i.e. covered under SSP). However, even if you don't have a license for the new product, you are still free to run and evaluate them.

----------
Yi
Software Developer
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14
(9,292 Views)

Hi.. I can not find the component IC LM2577 in MultiSim version 11.0...anyone have this IC? if yes, please send me a component in multisim file, not word/picture..thank you very much..

simon
email : naahaisnomis@yahoo.com

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 14
(8,207 Views)