Automotive and Embedded Networks

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI-DNET 1.4.2 does not support LabVIEW 6.1 and LabWindows/CVI 6.0.

Hi,

In the Readme from version 1.4.2 of the NI-DNET drivers it tells you that it doesn't support LabVIEW 6.1. Does this mean that development of new applications in LabVIEW 6.1 is not supported or does it mean that if I have a LabVIEW 6.1 application created with NI-DNET v. 1.3 now won't work with new drivers installed?

Thanks,

Olav Haugan
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,483 Views)

Hi Olav,

This does mean that development of new applications in LabVIEW 6.1 is not supported.  With the release of LabVIEW 8.0, support for LabVIEW 6.1 was dropped.  National Instruments supports two versions of LabVIEW back from the current version. 
An application created in LabVIEW 6.1 with version 1.3 of the NI-DNET drivers should work fine with NI-DNET version 1.4.2 installed.  It should work, but the installation of the new drives will remove the 1.3 functionality from LabVIEW and install 1.4.2 functionality.  Version 1.4.2 of the drivers does not install support in LabVIEW 6.1, so the functions will be removed from, but not replaced in the LabVIEW 6.1 folder.  The 1.4.2 functionality will only install into later versions of LabVIEW.  Let me know if you have any other questions!

Chris R.
Applications Engineer

Chris R.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,473 Views)
I guess the key word is should execute. 

Environment:
Windows 2000, SP4
Labview 6.1 runtime.  (no development environment on this system)
DNET Driver TBD but believed to be around ver 1.1.  Looking via MAX i see that the old driver is a can driver but the existing DNET program ran OK.

removable docking drive with two versions of disk.  One disk version is a clone of the other except that it has the updated DNET 1.4.2 driver and this is selected via MAX.

We have Labview 6.x code with DNET driver 1.4.2 and we have encountered a problem.
The application will run OK the first time but will not run a second time. the error message on the labview form complains that the
DNET device is connected to another program.  The fix is to reboot Windows 2000 then the program will run ok one more time.

It sounds like
A. Connection was never removed upon termination and we are just finding this out with the 1.4.2 driver.
B. Connection is not removed with DNET Driver 1.4.2.
C. CAN vs DNET selection has discovered a new error.

When you say it should run, has this been verified with a verification suite against labview 6.1?
What differences in error detection are known against older drivers vs. 1.4.2.
Is there a change in removing the DNET connection compared to older drivers.
The problem might be CAN handlers vs. DNET Handlers but if our new software requires DNET 1.4.2 (and handler) then the exisitng
software does not run.

i'll try verification of the problem with a CAN handler selected via MAX.  However this probably means that the new software requiring DNET 1.4.2 will not run.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,461 Views)
Howdy,

It's very strange that this runs the first time and not future runs. This could be caused by a few things. Could you post a spy capture of you running your application successfully, then stopping the application, then starting it again. You may not be closing out the CAN port correctly at the end of your application.

When you say the " connection was not removed ", that's basically what I'm mentioning. I think that the CAN resource (the CAN port you specify in the ncOpen) isn't being closed properly. Could you also post the VI you're working with or at least a screenshot of the end of the application (where the close should be taking place).

Thanks!
Matt S.

LabVIEW Integration Engineer with experience in LabVIEW Real-Time, LabVIEW FPGA, DAQ, Machine Vision, as well as C/C++. CLAD, working on CLD and CLA.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,441 Views)