From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Academic Hardware Products (myDAQ, myRIO)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding a usb wireless dongle to MyRio 1950

Solved!
Go to solution

I purchased the MyRio-1950 since the 1900 was backordered.  The 1950 does not have built-in wifi, but I thought it shouldn't be too difficult to add a wireless usb dongle to the rio similar to what I've done on a Raspberry Pi...Seems I probably have to add some kernel modules to support my particular dongle and edit some configuration scripts...

Has anyone done this successfully?

Thanks!

sky

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(8,469 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author SkyKing

Hey Skyking,

I know some people have gotten the Asus N53 working with myRIO.  If you need help OS stuff (like adding kernel modules) you should check out the NI Linux Real Time community.

-Sam K

LabVIEW Hacker

Join / Follow the LabVIEW Hacker Group on google+

Message 2 of 7
(8,436 Views)

Thanks for the pointers!   I will check there.

sky

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(8,431 Views)

I am trying to do the same. I looked on the NI RT Linux forum without any success. NI-VISA recognized it but I does not apparent in the netwrok settings.

USB_Wireless_NIC_for_myRIO.png

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(8,280 Views)

Hi Jeff

Which USB dongle are you using?

Which driver did you install on the NI RT Linux?

Regards

Esteban R.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(8,242 Views)

Estaban,

Thanks for you reply. I am new to Linux, I have spent some time looking at the NI and several Raspberry Pi forums to get a better understanding... so please be patience.

I have a TP-Link WN725N - http://www.tp-link.com/lk/products/details/?model=TL-WN725N

I think it uses the Realtek RLT8188EUS chipset.

I have found a module (driver) called 8188eu.ko, but I am not sure where to copy it to. I am using webDAV to copy but I can only get 'write permission' in certain folders.

After I get it in the right place, I think I need to use the "depmod -a"..is this correct?

Thanks,

Jeff

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(8,110 Views)

The modification of the linux software on the MyRIO is not supported. We do recommend that you post on the NI Linux Real-Time Community for further help on this topic. The users there will have more experience modifying the Linux Operating System and can help answer your question. Have a great day.

Alex D
Systems Engineer
Academic Research
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(8,089 Views)