NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TestStand is interpreting my string parameters

I am having a problem where teststand is interpretting my strings, when all I want is for it to pass the string to my api exactly as it has been entered.

I have a TestStand step that calls a method on my COM object, passing a string parameter. I have entered the parameter into the sequence as

"\\QESP42200M2\Process\Providers\VRSample\Servlets (By Type)\Setpoints\TestScaleFactor"

but when I run the sequence, by method receives the following string.

"\QESP42200M2\Process\Providers\VRSample\Servlets (By Type)\Setpoints|estScaleFactor"

So it's interpretting the '\\' as '\' and '\T' as a tab.

I understand that the string will come out correctly if I double up my back slashes, but this is highly inconvenient for me. E
very other component in my system passes strings as data (ie. no interpretting of what's in the string), and I would have to make special rules for TestStand.

Is there any way I can make TestStand stop doing this?

Thanks,

Aaron Stibich
Senior Engineer
Innovative Technologies Inc.
925-803-2884
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(3,013 Views)
Hi Aaron,

I know that if you load properties via the propertyloader then '\\' become '\' and '\t' become a tab an therefore you do have to double up on the '\' char to counter the affect. (Or modify the PropertyLoader step code).

But if you have just manually entered the value into a string variable in your sequence then its usually just treated as entered. So if you enter '\n' then its seen as '\' char and 'n' char but if you enter '' ( by pressing Ctrl + Enter keys) then its treated as the one character.

So it depends under what circumstance you are seeing this conversion. Can you give more details on what you are doing and when this conversion is happening?

With the PropertyLoader step type the code is provided with Teststand so a custom step could be
created to stop the conversion.

If it is a big problem for yourself you could try using an array of U8 instead of a string.

Regards
Ray Farmer
Regards
Ray Farmer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(3,013 Views)