Signal Conditioning

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to build a waveform that is only the first half of a sawtooth (right triangle)?

Hello,

I am working with an niFGEN 5422 AWG and do not have a lot of experience with waveforms. I am wanting to build a waveform that is only the first half of a sawtooth waveform. In other words, I would like to remove the second half of the sawtooth waveform, essentially creating a right triangle. An image of what I would like to create is attached.

The triangle waveform that I could use as an option is not a right triangle. Can I modify this waveform for my needs? What is the best way to do this?

Also, is it possible to create my own binary waveform file and read it in? Examples would be great if possible.

Thank you for your time and help.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(4,816 Views)
Can I just adjust the DC offset somehow? That seems to be the easiest.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(4,812 Views)
After some fiddling around, simply doing a change of the DC offset was not working based on the structure of the waveform. Essentially, the provided sawtooth waveform was 180 out of phase of what i needed. I used a function generator to accomplish what I needed. It was odd, however, that I had to give a phase of 180.5 to get the sawtooth waveform to actually begin with a rising portion from 0 up to 1. Giving exactly 180 for phase started the waveform out at a high state (nearly 1), which then immediately transitioned to 0 and started the ramp. Seems kind of makeshift, but hopefully it works out OK.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(4,800 Views)

Hi cgiff,

It sounds like you've found something that will work for this application.  If you intend to work on other custom waveform shapes, I recommend that you take a look at the Arbitrary Waveform Editor software package.  Just like the name implies, it is used for defining arbitrary waveform shapes.

Luke
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(4,786 Views)
Thanks for your reply, Luke.

Does the software package ship with the niFGEN or niSCOPE? Or is it something that must be purchased separately?

Thanks again for your time and help.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(4,786 Views)

Hello again, cgifford.

It's actually a separate purchase. 

Luke
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(4,772 Views)