LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bug: Front Panel objects relative position change when placing merge VI onto Block Diagram

Solved!
Go to solution

I've posted a bug report on LAVA, here:

http://forums.lavag.org/Front-Panel-objects-relative-position-change-when-placing-merge-VI-onto-Bloc...

If someone at NI can reproduce, can I please get a CAR #?

Thanks,

-Jim

Message 1 of 8
(6,473 Views)

Hi Jim,

I was able to reproduce this.  I'll get the CAR filed today and post back the ID.

Donovan
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(6,398 Views)

Donovan B wrote:

Hi Jim,

I was able to reproduce this.  I'll get the CAR filed today and post back the ID.

You're the man!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(6,393 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jim_Kring

Hi Jim,

This was reported to R&D (# 139212) for further investigation.  I'm not sure if it's more inconvenient to drop from the Functions palette and rearrange the front panel or drop from the front panel and hope the subVI's code is not scattered throughout the block diagram.  Since the code (or controls) are selected after dropping and you can switch between block diagram and front panel while keeping this selection, at least you can move the code as a whole, right? Smiley Wink

Donovan
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(6,381 Views)

Donovan,

Thanks for the CAR #.

Here's some more info:

When you drop a Merge VI onto a Front Panel, all Block Diagram objects of the merged VI are selected in the Front Panel -- this allowing easy repositioning, which is a nice feature.

However, When you drop a Merge VI onto a Block Diagram, only the Front Panel decoration objects of the merged VI are selected (the controls and indicators are not selected). I would assume that this is a bug and that the controls and indicators should be selected, too, along with the decorations.

Here's another screen capture movie that demonstrates this new issue:

http://forums.lavag.org/Front-Panel-objects-relative-position-change-when-placing-merge-VI-onto-Bloc...

Thanks,

-Jim

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(6,369 Views)

Hi Jim,

After my previous post, I also saw this behavior, so I decided to do another test.  If there are no decorations in the VI set to “Merge VI” (“Place VI Contents” for LabVIEW 8.5 and later) the controls and indicators are still not selected when dropping the VI from the Functions palette.  I checked this behavior back to LabVIEW 7.1 and it is consistent throughout that controls and indicators are not selected.  (Consequently, so is the fact that when decorations are present they don’t maintain the relative position).

I am not sure if this would be better suited as a CAR or product suggestion since it has been this way that long, but it does not appear to be related to the fact that decorations are present in the Merge VI.  It does seem strange that the decorations are selected though.  Looks like the best way to work around this is to drop the VI from the Controls palette.  Hopefully, it’s not too much of a hassle.

Donovan
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(6,336 Views)

Donovan B wrote:

Hi Jim,

After my previous post, I also saw this behavior, so I decided to do another test.  If there are no decorations in the VI set to “Merge VI” (“Place VI Contents” for LabVIEW 8.5 and later) the controls and indicators are still not selected when dropping the VI from the Functions palette.  I checked this behavior back to LabVIEW 7.1 and it is consistent throughout that controls and indicators are not selected.  (Consequently, so is the fact that when decorations are present they don’t maintain the relative position).

I am not sure if this would be better suited as a CAR or product suggestion since it has been this way that long, but it does not appear to be related to the fact that decorations are present in the Merge VI.  It does seem strange that the decorations are selected though.  Looks like the best way to work around this is to drop the VI from the Controls palette.  Hopefully, it’s not too much of a hassle.

Hi  Donovan,

Thanks for checking in.

I checked this behavior back to LabVIEW 7.1 and it is consistent throughout that controls and indicators are not selected.  (Consequently, so is the fact that when decorations are present they don’t maintain the relative position).

This just means that not many people use this feature.  However, now that VIPM Professional makes it so easy to edit the palettes, I'm sure that others will start complaining that this doesn't work as they expect.

> I am not sure if this would be better suited as a CAR or product suggestion since it has been this way that long, but it does not appear to be related to the fact that decorations are present in the Merge VI.

Just look up the functional specifications for this feature and see if all objects are supposed to be selected. Smiley Very Happy

But seriously, is there a reason that only the FP decorations are selected?  Surely this would be documented somewhere, if there was a good reason for this current (IMO, buggy) behavior.

> It does seem strange that the decorations are selected though.  Looks like the best way to work around this is to drop the VI from the Controls palette.  Hopefully, it’s not too much of a hassle.

That's not a reasonably work-around, IMO.  It doesn't make sense to drop Block Diagram components onto the Front Panel.  For example, this bug affects the JKI State Machine.  It doesn't make sense to drop a State Machine onto the Front Panel.

So, I'd file it as a CAR/bug, and then wait to see how LV R&D feels about it.  If they can find some valid reason for why Controls and Indicators shouldn't be selected, then that's fine (and hopefully someone will explain it to me).

Thanks,

-Jim

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(6,334 Views)

Hi Jim,

I have not yet found any documentation on why the controls and indicators are not selected when the decorations are.  I will keep doing some research and talk to a few people here to find out what the reasoning may have been and will post back what I find.

Donovan
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(6,301 Views)