cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MAX launches multiple instances

Solved!
Go to solution

LV_Pro wrote:

The link is the same one I referenced in my earlier post, it is why I upgraded in October. I am using the "reset" that is described in that article, although it is more complex when you are using MAX tasks rather than doing it in LabVIEW.

Sorry, Just trying to help.  Didn't mean to waste your time.   Gosh you've gotta be getting frustrated!

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 21 of 30
(2,984 Views)

Jeff, offering help is never a waste of my time. In this particular case, just having other people out there that are listening is a help. I really am not expecting any "magic bullet" solution, have a growing fear that it is the computer itself that may be the issue. Not sure how to sell that to the customer, might end up gong to WalMart and buying one, configuring it and then bringing it to them.

Thanks!

Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 22 of 30
(2,969 Views)

Cole,

Did you get any info from R&D, I'm not confident that the stuff we talked about has "solved" the problem.

Putnam

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 23 of 30
(2,964 Views)

Not a lot of experience with PCIe (vs PCI) boards. I guess my first question is, can a PCIe x1 board be used in a PCIe x16 slot. The @#%$!! HP computer that this test system is running on has all but the PCIe x16 slot blocked, the other two located under or too close to the power supply. The general concensus on correctig the problem I've been fighting in this thread is to move some of my USB off of the motherboard. Unfortunately this is made difficult by the above mentioned "design feature" that HP decided to incorporate. I guess my next question is whether anyone out there has any recommendations on a PCIe USB adapter board?

Growing rapidly older on this project!  Not good, look at my avatar icon!

Putnam

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 24 of 30
(2,937 Views)

Hey Putnam,

I'm glad the x16 slot is at least open.  You can use a x1 in a x16 slot, but you will only get the x1 performance.  As far as which card to actually use, just try to stick with one that has the NEC chipset.  We have seen the most reliable results with that chipset.

Officially, NI doesn't recommend one brand or specific card, but this guy on newegg.com has good reviews and should be plug and play.  Let me know how that goes.

ColeR
Field Engineer
Message 25 of 30
(2,906 Views)

Unfortunately, as well as making all but the x16 slot unavailable, they also put it in a reduced height chassis. I ordered a StarTech PEXUSB4DP, will see if it is sufficient. Hope to have it installed this weekend, then maybe I can start worrying about other issues.

P

Putnam

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 26 of 30
(2,898 Views)

Good gosh Putnam,

Sorry to hear about everything you've gone through with this.  Looking forward to hearing if everything will work for you.

ColeR
Field Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 27 of 30
(2,871 Views)

An additional question. It has three available usb ports. Should I only put the USB6221 DAQ on it, only the USB-RS485/2 or both with all the non "DAQ" stuff on the motherboard's ports? The symptoms are that I loose comms with the DAQ or the serial ports, or both.

It is unfortunately being shipped to my home address, 125 miles the wrong way from my customer, but online purchase from a lot of vendors won't let you ship to other than the address on record with the credit card company. Then it is about 110 miles from there to the customer's. Glad I have a book on CD to listen to!

Putnam

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 28 of 30
(2,863 Views)
I think the USB-RS485 is designed to not cause any loss of USB communication, so you are probably fine putting the DAQ and RS485 on the extra USB ports.   As it's been the DAQ that's been having the problems this whole time, the safest bet would be to put only the DAQ on the USB ports, but again, both is probably fine.
ColeR
Field Engineer
Message 29 of 30
(2,841 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author LV_Pro

I wanted to follow up with a status report. I did get a PCIe USB board, moved both of the NI devices, the USB6221 and the USB-RS485 units to it, and roughly a month later haven't seen the issues I was having. I don't know what the cause of the "glitches" on the motherboard's USB bus, but at least moving the critical ones off have seemingly cured the problem. I would like to say thank you to all that suggested cures, in particular to "Cole Train" and the NI R&D group that took the time to research this and come up with this answer, as well as keeping in touch with me "offline" to follow through.

I know that it isn't considered good form to mark your own post as the "answer", but as Cole Train's suggestion that has apparently resolved the problem was not given on the thread I will mark this as the solution to get the viewers, but as mentioned above, credit goes to him and the R&D team.

Thanks

Message Edited by LV_Pro on 03-30-2010 09:30 AM
Message Edited by LV_Pro on 03-30-2010 09:32 AM
Putnam

LabVIEW Champion

Message 30 of 30
(2,718 Views)