LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

make output show up in new window

Hi I'm new to Labview and I was wondering if there was a way to show a desired result or output in a new window instead of on the same window as the inputs. Maybe I'm not asking the question correctly but here is a very simple example of what I want to do. In this example I am showing the indicators on the same window as the controls. What I want to do is have the answers pop up in a new window. Is this possible?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(4,866 Views)
First things first, since you are just starting to learn LabVIEW.

An 18 frame stacked sequence with frames linked via sequence locals and local variables is a nightmare for code maintenance. It reminds me strongly of the following topic: http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=170&message.id=230714

Are you using the "continuous run" button for this? (Else the case structure would not make sense). The continuous run button is a debugging tool and should not be used for regular operations. The right way would be to place your code in an event structure inside a while loop and create an event for "value changed" of the button.

Actually, such simple code could just spin in a small while loop with a small wait. This way the resuts get constantly updated whenever one of the controls chage. No need for the "calculate" button.

Back to your original question. You cold just place the output in a subVI and set the subVI to open the front panel if called.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(4,854 Views)

Hi Raco,

Don't forget to look for common math functions (including matrix functions) on the Mathematics\LinearAlgebra palett!

The attach VI(s) use the "Solve Linear Equations.vi" in an alternative way to handle this example. 

Cheers!

"Inside every large program is a small program struggling to get out." (attributed to Tony Hoare)
Download All
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(4,849 Views)

All you really need is a matrix operations (Not available in LabVIEW base!):

You should really consider using matrix and array controls and indicators. Now you can easily change the size to anything you want (2x2, 5x5, 20x20 etc.) without rewriting the code.

(If you only have LabVIEW base, you shouldn't be doing these kinds of operations. Time to upgrade! :))

I would really advise against showing the result in a subVI. It clutters the desktop and required more clicks to continue.

Message Edited by altenbach on 10-28-2007 12:43 AM

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(4,843 Views)
Thank you guys for your responses. They were exactly what I needed. I only used that matrix as an example. I really just wanted to know how to display any kind of output in a new window.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(4,821 Views)