LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Superfluous files (like lv80rte) included with installer [LV 8.2]. Why?

I was looking through all the subdirectories created under Volume\bin by the installer in LV 8.2 and was wondering why some of them are there.

1. There are files everywhere that seem to deal with many languages even though I told the installer I only wanted English.
  2. There's a directory that includes files such as PXIPlatformHardwareSupport64.msi and PXIPlatformServices.msi. I'm not using any PXI hardware.
  3. There are directories LVBrokerAux71 and LVBrokerAux800. What are they?
  4. There's a LV711RTE and LV80RTE dir which deal with LV 7.1.1 and LV8.0 run time engines. Why are they needed?

George
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,753 Views)
I don't know about all of them (you can probably try searching the site or Google for some of the services), but the RTEs are probably installed because some programs (like MAX, for example) rely on them.

(2,732 Views)

>>but the RTEs are probably installed because some programs (like MAX, for example) rely on them. <<

Seems pretty inefficient. Why can't everything be included in the latest runtime engine?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,726 Views)

@GS wrote:

Why can't everything be included in the latest runtime engine?

Probably because that would require creating a new build (i.e. a new version of MAX) and validating it and everything that goes along with that which is quite a lot of work. It's much easier to just take the X megabytes, since space is mostly cheap.

(2,719 Views)
Hey George,
    tst hit the nail on the head in that some of our stuff relies on previous versions of the LabVIEW Run-Time engine.  This is why they are installed, and why multiple versions of the rte will show up under Software in MAX. 

Brian B
Account Manager
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,701 Views)

Brian,

Thanks for the explanation. It sure would be nice to consolidate some of that stuff to help keep the installer size to a minimum.

One thing that didn't get explained yet is why there are so many files that seem to deal with other languages (see my original post). Well over half of the subdirectories in the installer have these files.

George

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,692 Views)