LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW used for Star Wars Episode III

Hello LabVIEW lovers,

You guessed it, LabVIEW helped make Revenge of the Sith. Check out the QuickTime video on this page. Starting around the 3:30 mark (2/3 of the way through), you will see a laptop that has a LabVIEW front panel. At the 3:35-3:40 mark the special effects guy goes over to the laptop and you can clearly see the LabVIEW front panel. They are using LabVIEW to record and playback the movements of a ship in front of a green screen.

Now you can enjoy the movie that much more with the knowledge that LabVIEW played it's part. (Thanks to Chad H. for spotting this)

-GG
Message 1 of 9
(7,559 Views)
Hey!
Cool!
No, not "cool"...
Hmm...
Ah!
Interesting.

To explain, I always think of the cool part of SFX as the computer graphics or the motion control and so on. Seeing a sine wave produced by LV is sort of, well, too "down to earth".
It definitely takes a LVWer to spot that one.

Just to clarify, I did not particularly like the last 2 movies and I don't really plan on seeing this one, even if it had LV used in its making.

I wonder if George Lucas has an opening for an experienced Labview programmer?
- tbob

Inventor of the WORM Global
Message 3 of 9
(7,510 Views)
Why not go work for LucasArts (the computer game company).
They did some of the greatest games ever (Sam & Max, Monkey Island, Indy. Oh yeah, and a few gzillion Star Wars games [those aren't the greatest]).

Monkey Island is my daughters favorite (yes, mine too). I think that would be a very cool job. But aren't they located in California? Don't want to live there, too crowded and too expensive.
- tbob

Message 5 of 9
(7,464 Views)
I don't know where they LucasArts operate from, but if you don't like CA, you can try going to work for Spielberg instead. His company financed a company called The Neverhood, which made a (great) game by the same name, which your daughter (and you) will probably love as well. I don't know where they are either.
You can also try working for Sierra. They used to be in CA, but then they moved up north (WA, I think). And they also have (or had, to be accurate) some great games (from the first King's Quest through Gabriel Knight and all the way to Half-Life [which isn't really theirs, but has their name]).

(7,453 Views)
Thanx for the tip, but I think I'll stay here. Going to see Star Wars Episode III tonight. I will be on the lookout for Labview generated graphics. I don't care what anybody says, JarJar Binks is the favorite character for both me and my daughter (she's 10, and so am I when I hang out with her).
- tbob

Message 7 of 9
(7,443 Views)
Before you start dreaming of working in the Game development industry google "EA:The Human Story" to see "The Dark Side" of game development. And they don't, to the best of my knowledge, use LabVIEW, although they do some really serious programming. If you want your eyes to roll back into your head, pick up a copy of Gamedeveloper magazine, particularly from a couple of years ago (the latest are getting be more about various companies' development teams/projects, or reviews of development tools) where they had some really serious articles about how to do the physics of solid body collisions using integer math, and stuff like that.

Putnam Monroe
LabVIEW curmudgeon since 1992
Certified LabVIEW Developer
Certified TechnoGeek,
Certifiable
Putnam

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion

Message 8 of 9
(7,439 Views)

@LV_Pro wrote:
Putnam Monroe
LabVIEW curmudgeon since 1992
Certified TechnoGeek,
Certifiable

Certifiable...
Yep...
But be careful, you'll soon run out of titles...
You've got my stars for that anyway.