Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI-488.2 install error Kernel source problem [Fedora Core 6]

Hi all,

I currently try to install NI-488.2 for Linux (Fedora Core 6)
I know this not officially supported for Fedora Core 6 distribution, but for external reasons I cannot use  other ones

At the very beginning of the installation, it fails with the following message:

NI-488.2 Distribution
version 2.5.1f0 for Linux/x86 32-bit

Checking required install tools...
Checking installer tool versions...
rpm 4.4.2 can be used with a default installation path
tar 1.15.1
Checking dependencies...
glibc 2.5
Unpacking install files to /tmp/NI4882-2.5.1f0.install...

******************************** ERROR *****************************************
* Kernel source in /lib/modules/2.6.18-1.2798kdump-1kHZ-lowlatency/source does not appear to be
* for the 2.6.18-1.2798kdump-1kHZ-lowlatency kernel.
* Ensure that kernel source for the 2.6.18-1.2798kdump-1kHZ-lowlatency kernel is installed
* and configured. Refer to the README file for the product you are
* installing for information about configuring your kernel source.
******************************** ERROR *****************************************
Installer is aborted.

This trouble seems to be usual for distributions which are not supported. Nevertheless, I do not find a

relevant answer.

For example, I try the solution for Suse distro, which consists in configuring the kernel source for our

currently running kernel, by running:

cd /usr/src/linux
make cloneconfig
make modules_prepare

Unfortunately, cloneconfig does not exist on Fedora.

Can anybody give me some piece of advice, our a way to start fixing this usual problem?

Where does the installation script look for while checking for kernel source?

Thanks a lot

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(4,537 Views)
Have you tried the search function?

There exists a lot of really good information about how to get the NI drivers to work on Fedora Core 5 and 6 as well as Fedora 7. Here are two threads that can be good starting reading:

Thread1
Thread2

Even though the threads discuss another NI-driver, the problematic part are shared between the different NI drivers. You will proably have to follow the discussions in the threads to find where the solution is but it is there.

From your error printout it looks like you are running a customized kernel. Be aware that there is a small possibility that you have enabled features in your kernel that just don't play well (or at all!) with the NI-driver. You have been warned Smiley Wink
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(4,437 Views)
You are right, the answer to fix my problem is supplied on the 2nd thread. Thks a lot.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(4,381 Views)