Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MAX does not detect my USB-GPIB-HS 488.2 instrument, but the Windows XP Device Manager does

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi, 

I have a problem when using the USB-GPIB-HS 488.2, I can see the device in the Device Manager from Windows XP, but it is not visible in the MAX, I don't even see a section for the GPIB devices; however, when I try to install a new GPIB device, the MAX Wizard tells me that there is one GPIB instrument installed in the computer which GPIB0       -      USB-GPIB-HS. Do you know what is the reason for this to happen, because I want to use a multimeter in LabVIEW via GPIB but I can't access it, I don't even see that there is a GPIB connection in the computer (in LabVIEW).

Regards,

Alejandro Rodriguez

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(4,041 Views)

@alejandromxl wrote:

Hi, 

I have a problem when using the USB-GPIB-HS 488.2, I can see the device in the Device Manager from Windows XP, but it is not visible in the MAX, I don't even see a section for the GPIB devices; however, when I try to install a new GPIB device, the MAX Wizard tells me that there is one GPIB instrument installed in the computer which GPIB0       -      USB-GPIB-HS. Do you know what is the reason for this to happen, because I want to use a multimeter in LabVIEW via GPIB but I can't access it, I don't even see that there is a GPIB connection in the computer (in LabVIEW).

Regards,

Alejandro Rodriguez

The GPIB controller is GPIB0

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(4,029 Views)

You don't have anything at all listed under Devices and Interfaces in MAX? What version of NI-488 do you have installed?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(4,027 Views)

Hi Dennis_Knutson

I do have items listed below the Devices and Interfaces in MAX. 

-  Network Devices

-  PXI Systems

-  Serial & Parallel

- COM1

- LPT1

- LPT3

but I don't see the GPIB section, even though when I try create a new GPIB Interface it says that there is one installed.

What do you mean with the version of NI-488? 

If you mean the driver version is 2.4.0.3500

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(4,025 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author alejandromxl

That's kind of old. Have you tried the latest?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(4,011 Views)

Thank you, apparently it was a problem with the driver, as soon as I upgrade it, it works!

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,996 Views)