VeriStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

instrument readings in Veristand with a remote system

Solved!
Go to solution

I am new to National Instruments hardware and Veristand and I'm trying to use an instrument with Veristand to see if I can get readings from that instrument. I am using a PC with Windows Vista and I'm connected through a network to a PXI 8108 controller in a PXI 1050 chasiss. The instrument is just a thermocouple which I am using to get familiar with everything. The thermocouple is connected to the SCB-68 connector block which is connected to a PXI 6221 multifunction DAQ in the chassis. I am able to create a task in MAX under remote system and everything seems to work. What I want to do is to get the readings into Veristand, and I'm not sure if I need to create a custom device that is linked to the DAQ somehow or if there's some other way to do this. I've created the DAQ device in the system explorer but I don't see any way of linking it to the actual DAQ device on the remote system. I'm wondering if someone can help with this. 

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(9,978 Views)
Solution
Accepted by GriffE

You can read your thermocouple channel value directly from VeriStand, but the process is different than using MAX.

In System Explorer, add your DAQ device that is cabled to your SCB-68. Make sure you specify the same name (i.e. "Dev1") that is in MAX. Also make sure you've imported the device channel that is hooked up to the thermocouple (i.e. "ai0"). There's no way in System Explorer to specify that this channel should have thermocouple scaling. VeriStand will initially sample this channel value as a raw voltage value. You can, however, set the high and low limit for this channel to something small like +/- 1V, since thermocouples have very small readings.

You add the scale to your system separately after deploying the System Definition you created to the RT Target. You do this by connecting to the target using the Workspace and selecting the Workspace tool from the Tools menu called the Channel Scaling and Calibration Manager.

In this dialog you will see your DAQ channel listed. Navigate through this dialog to assign an appropriate thermocouple scale to your channel. Once this is done, the target will remember the scale for this channel until you overwrite it.

Let me know how this goes...

Jarrod S.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(9,972 Views)
I guess I don't really know how to have everything communicate with the RT target. I go to workspace settings and change the execution target to RT and I put in the PXI's IP address. When I try to run the Workspace it won't open. It eventually times out. Everything else looks like it might work if I could just figure out how to communicate with the PXI.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(9,967 Views)
Here's a link to a nice Getting Started document for VeriStand, including help on configuring and deploying a System Definition file. Your PXI chassis will need to have VeriStand support installed from MAX, which will start the VeriStand Engine running on the target. This VeriStand Engine needs to be running to accept a System Definition deployment.
Jarrod S.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(9,965 Views)
How would I know if my PXI has Veristand support installed, and how would I go about installing it?
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(9,960 Views)

You install VeriStand support to your target from MAX just like other software support, such as NI-DAQmx and other drivers. Navigate under Remote Systems to your PXI chassis. Then expand it and select Software. Click the Add/Remove Software button on the right to open the dialog. Here you can see if VeriStand support is installed, and install it if necessary. You will also be prompted to install any device driver dependencies of the VeriStand Engine as well.

Once the Engine is running on your RT Target, it will print messages to the console monitor output indicating what it is doing. This is another way to know if the VeriStand Engine is installed and running.

Install_VS.PNG

Jarrod S.
National Instruments
Message 6 of 11
(9,955 Views)
The Veristand Engine is now installed and running but when I click deploy it comes back with an error saying "Device identifier is invalid". I know the device name has to be the same as in MAX but I'm unsure where in MAX it says the device name in the same way that I have to put it in the system definition file. I'm not sure if this is why it's giving me this error or if it's something else.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(9,940 Views)
OK, I've gotten rid of the "Device identifier" error but now it says "Physical channel specified does not exist on this device. I'm wondering if anyone may know what this means.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(9,932 Views)

Never mind, I figured it out.

Thanks a lot Jarrod

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(9,925 Views)

this may be somewhat off the subject of RT but i'm using veristand in pc mode and the scaling and calibration doesn't seem to be saving. everytime i leave the workspace and re-enter my calibration is gone.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(9,165 Views)