From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

VeriStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

C Series expansion of PXI RT System

I have an existing VeriStand application running on a PXI RT (Pharlap) controller.  I'm interested in adding some C Series cards to this application.  What is currently the recommended way of expanding a PXI RT VeriStand app with C Series modules.  A 9151 with an R-Series card use to be an option.  I see the MXI RIO options.  Are there other options that will incorporate the C Series directly to RT with VeriStand?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,816 Views)

Hi Holtee,

We have been in contact with NI over this very issue.  We have used the R series in the past and were going to move to MXI, but MXI is being obsoleted (major bummer).  So after much talk and having NI prove through put and performance to us NI's solution to replace the R series and MXI was EtherCat.  This works, but your speed is limited so some calculation have to be done by programing the FPGA in the etherCAT chassis.  You will also need a top of the line PXIe Controller to keep the EtherCat communication from throttling down the RT speed.  Speed is going to be about 1000 hz for the RT, so anything fast than that might have to be done in the FPGA and then past to the RT.  Hope this helps and I hope NI comes up with a better solution soon.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,745 Views)

Thanks for the information Joshe.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,705 Views)

Hi Joshe,

Sorry to comment to such an old thread, but I'm curious about MXI being obsoleted. Did NI tell you they're not going to be making any more MXI stuff? We have quite a few MXI-Rio systems, and I'd noticed that the chassis are all in the 'mature' phase. Thinking of going the Ethernet-Rio route for our next system, and hoping we won't notice any performance difference.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,060 Views)

When I consulted with NI they steered me away from MXI because of it being a mature product.  I would like to use the ethernet crio's but there was timing issues with syncing multiple chassis and there wasn't a good solution for timing using VeriStand as the RT.  If you know of something different please let me know.  We are pressing forward with EtherCAT solution for large crio systems.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,046 Views)